collection of antique inkwells value?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Reaction score
I'm sorry I haven't figured out how to display pics. on this website correct size. Could some look at this link to ebay of my inkwells and tell me if I am doing anything wrong , possibly their value, and anyone who may want to purchase as well. There are 2 umbrella, one 6-8 sided aqua color, one cobalt blue, two embossed, one w/ name Carter's , the other co name and kansas city, and 2 igloo style , one rose color perfume mister.
I also have really elongated old europoean bottle listed as well as a few others. If I have not done my research correctly please inform Thank you very much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280891101773?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1210

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Hi there, and good luck on the bay. I just looked at the pics and my advise would be to seperate the atomizer from the inks as collectors of these two groups don't usually overlap in collecting. The atomizer is the only unknown varient to me and might bring a fair price since it looks to be nice cut glass and higher end. Would likely bring more if you had the top. For the lot of inks, as they are all commoners you'd be lucky to get maybe 20 bucks. Sorry for the bum news, and of course just my opinion. (I tend to live in the past as well and have been known to be well "under the money" in auction parlance.) Jack

clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Reaction score
thanks . That's what I needed to hear...am a total amateur. I will have to do a better job at researching . thanks again

botlguy

Reaction score
I agree with Jack, those inks are way over priced and the one "umbrella" is a "cone". The domed one with the neck in the middle is not an igloo. Also, the purfume atomizer may be the best item there and is in the wrong catagory.

I'm afraid you jumped the gun, put the ad up before the research. Been there, done that. [:mad:]

clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Reaction score
yes, I should rephrase description of myself from total amateur to total idiot. Knowing a little about a lot is worthless, knowing a lot about one thing is invaluable knowledge. I should know better.
I am actually trying to sell inkwells for a friend, it is true about the grandmother in the ad , except it's her grandmother not mine .
There is SO much to know & learn about bottles. Not talking about inkwells but old bottles. I can't tell the difference between a blob top and a..., can't even remember name of the other top so similar, because I can't tell the difference no matter how many times I refer to the chart.
yikes. But I love digging them up on the farm I grew up on. Those I know are rare and really old. Thanks for your advice. Did you say bottle collector for 45 years ? wow, do you mind answering I.D. questions? thanks again.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
They are all basically $5 inks each, and I suspect you'll have a hard time selling them together. You are aiming for a starting collector, who would like to have a few representatives of the ink genra. The caws is maybe a $10 bottle. The J and IE Moore is a good bottle, but there are so many of them out there that they are literally a dime a dozen. The banker's ink is abm (automatic bottle machine, "Machine made" with the seam going all the way up to the top of the lip or a ring just before the top). I only know of one size/form of the banker's ink that isn't abm.

The umbrella and the turtle/moores are pretty well stained as well, lowering value somewhat.

Jim G

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Been collecting them for 20 plus years. Familiarity breeds more than just contempt, it tends to give you a bit of knowledge as well.

Good luck with all your auctions.

Jim G

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib