College Spring Break PA Privy Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Me and my Buddy got a privy in Bellefonte PA. The house was from the 1870’s, and we found a privy that was 8 feet deep, it was a stone liner also. There were bottles from the 1850’s to milk bottles from the 1910’s. The privy was on the edge of the property line and it was under the homeowner wooden deck. Seen below is the picture of our finds.

Xv63764.jpg

Attachments

• Xv63764.jpg
    Xv63764.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 60

Bottleman

Reaction score
Here is a pic of me holding the OP Columbian Harrison Ink bottle right after it was dug out of the bottom corner wall under a lime layer.

Bz77282.jpg

Bottleman

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the top bottles out of the hole. Some of the highlights were a $200 local milk bottle, open pontil Harrison’s Columbian Ink, ground lip S&P shaker, two Williamsport, PA medicine/blob beer bottles, Peter Rabbit statue, and an early flask and pipe.

Lj23126.jpg

Attachments

• Lj23126.jpg
    Lj23126.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 74

Jim

Reaction score
Nice haul, Tom! That 's a sweet jagged pontil on the Harrison's, what a beauty. I see a cone ink in your first picture...is that citron, or a very light amber? An eight-foot stoney, wow...looks like your hard work paid off! Jim

madman

Reaction score
very nice digs bottleman wow ! love the columbian bottle again nice finds! mike

Yooper14

Reaction score
Excellent dig! That was a winner for sure!! Love the pictures as well...always good to see some site pics.
Yooper

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
EXCELLENT!! A good dig is forever etched into your memory. It also makes you want more.

Nice Harrison's, by the way. It appears that the soils cause a bit of scratching, but that should disappear with a good cleaning.

Mike

Bottleman

Reaction score
Jim, the cone ink is aqua but it has sticky yellow stuff in it that I couldn’t clean out. Mike, it’s kind of weird that the pontiled ink has so many light scratches but it was probably a later throughway since the house was built in the 1870s. Maybe it got bumped around a lot in the house or the soil scratched it. I am probably going to stick it in my tumbler and see if I can cut some of the scratches off. I will show before and after pics when it’s done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday