Color

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grdigger35

Reaction score
I'm pretty new at this, so I thought I'd ask for some help. I know that some old clear bottles will turn to a purple color for various reasons. What I would like to know is if it is possible for someone to enhance this process or duplicate it by chemical or other means? The reason I ask is that I have seen bottles on auctions that appear ro be an unnatural purple color and where 2 or more bottles all seem to have the exact tint of purple.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hello grdigger, yes there are ways to artificially turn glass purple. It is done by flooding it with ultraviolet light from a source other than the sun. Most collectors find this glass less appealing. Check out this same forum topic (collectors chat) a thread titled "Turning Glass Purple" on Feb. 22. There is some more information on this subject. Hope this helps, Kelley

grdigger35

Reaction score
Thanks Kelly. This does help alot. I don't know if it has any effect on the value or not, but it looks phony to me. Thanks again. Dale.

oz-riley

Reaction score
Hi grdigger36
There are people who change bottles instantly by using Gamma-Rays, X-Rays and Mercury Arc-radiation. You can also use a box and flood the bottle with artifisial Ultra-Violet Light however the box method does take a lot longer, around half the time it would to do it naturaly. The box UV method you cannot tell the difference between natural and boxed UV colour change, but the other methods which we call 'Zapped' in Australia do come out a more of a black purple and you can tell they have been zapped.
In Australia zapped bottles are looked upon the same as a repaired bottle.
I have also heard that zapped bottles do start to change back to clear in natural sunlight but I don't know if this is true or not.

Thanks
Chris

grdigger35

Reaction score
Hello Chris, Appreciate the feedback. Like I mentioned before, I'm pretty new to this, but have been at it long enough to spot them fairly easy. It would be interesting to know if they really do turn clear again. Dale

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers