Colored Blacking Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
I recently picked up these 2 shoe polish bottles. one`s a fairly common Gilt Edge Dressing in a very uncommon dark apple green, and the other is a Saratoga Dressing, Restorff & Bettman, New York in a dark yellow olive color. Now my primary focus is Bixbys, but I couldn`t resist these two, I`ve never seen these bottles in these colors before.I`m wondering how many other colors these two might be found in? It`s getting tough for me to find Bixbys in colors I don`t have, so maybe it`s time to branch out a little! I`d love to see other colors for these bottles so I can see what to look for.

2E44B27F1E814B1FB386A2AACB856AAE.jpg

Attachments

• 2E44B27F1E814B1FB386A2AACB856AAE.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 62

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Bixby Bill: I like your Bixby bottles. The Saratoga Blacking is interesting. I have a clear glass bottle for the Gilt Edge Dressing with the wooden stopper and dobber. I also have the lithographed cover for the bottle. Yours looks like it might be older than mine. I couldn't tell for sure but is the cover's CT (Continuous Thread) on the heal above the base edge. It doesn't look like it does. My cover - covers the whole bottle with only that heal base edge showing when the cover is on.
I also like to get the E.A.Waters bottles, Troy N.Y.
Nice bottles. RED Matthews

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
Hi Red, mine has the threads on the sides at the base also, they are segmented so they aren`t continuous all the way around. I`ve seen the clear and aqua ones, but I`ve never seen one with the box on it. I always wondered if there were any left around with the cover that screwed down onto the bottle. It`s a shame to keep such an attractive bottle covered up, though!

madpaddla

Reaction score
Bill.....great pics. Really nice bottles. I was hoping you would get that stoneware bottle tonight. Better luck next time. Once again ...real nice ones Bill.

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
Thanks,Ben! I didn`t even know about that stoneware bottle until this evening when I got home and a friend had called me to tell me about it. It`s not often you see one with your name on it, B. A. Steele, right down to the right middle initial! Thankfully I already have one, but someone plugged a big hole in the base with silly putty, but as they say, it displays well! I`m starting to like nice colors now, it doesn`t have to be rare or even perfect condition, just a good color. I picked up a bunch of color at an auction this past weekend, I kept expecting to see you walk through the door, so since I was the only bottle nut there, I was nice enough to buy them so nobody else would be stuck with them.

470275EA964549A4B1BFB7EBDD72A673.jpg

Attachments

• 470275EA964549A4B1BFB7EBDD72A673.jpg
    470275EA964549A4B1BFB7EBDD72A673.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 60

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: Bixby Bill

I recently picked up these 2 shoe polish bottles. one`s a fairly common Gilt Edge Dressing in a very uncommon dark apple green, and the other is a Saratoga Dressing, Restorff & Bettman, New York in a dark yellow olive color. Now my primary focus is Bixbys, but I couldn`t resist these two, I`ve never seen these bottles in these colors before.I`m wondering how many other colors these two might be found in? It`s getting tough for me to find Bixbys in colors I don`t have, so maybe it`s time to branch out a little! I`d love to see other colors for these bottles so I can see what to look for.

Those are a pair of awesome colored bottles Bill! Joe

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen