Colored Medecine

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

I'm pretty good at plumbing.
LOL...My family has been in the business since 1888 with my Great Grandfather a Plumber/Steamfitter, my Grandfather a plumber and head of the Sewage Dept. in town, my dad a plumber and plumbing inspector, my uncle a pipefitter and my brother a sprinklerfitter. I have been doing this since 12 years of age with my dad, and as draftsman for a plumbing company for 4 years and as a General Foreman in the industry the last 25 years. I'm sure you have great skills and a great attention to detail considering how well put together your fantastic site is, so we may have to have a "PLUMB OFF" someday....

How are you at the reverse alphabet?? [;)]

All my best,
Jim

Does this bottle qualfiy for your NEXUS ?

90DEA0B7EB874C8292AC8B86AAD7C692.jpg

Attachments

• 90DEA0B7EB874C8292AC8B86AAD7C692.jpg
    90DEA0B7EB874C8292AC8B86AAD7C692.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 37

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
LOL...My family has been in the business since 1888 with my Great Grandfather a Plumber/Steamfitter, my Grandfather a plumber and head of the Sewage Dept. in town, my dad a plumber and plumbing inspector, my uncle a pipefitter and my brother a sprinklerfitter. I have been doing this since 12 years of age with my dad, and as draftsman for a plumbing company for 4 years and as a General Foreman in the industry the last 25 years. I'm sure you have great skills and a great attention to detail considering how well put together your fantastic site is, so we may have to have a "PLUMB OFF" someday....

How are you at the reverse alphabet??

All my best,
Jim

Does this bottle qualfiy for your NEXUS ?

I am not a professional plumber. Just had to learn out of necessity. There is definately some art to it. It takes some abstract thought to re do it in old houses.

Its doubtful I can reliably do the alphabet forward.

Any patent medicine applies, I will add it but keep in mind it may not show up for a while since the web files are only periodically uploaded. Thanks

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
RE: Colored Medicine

No it's hand tooled

Interesting. The lip style indicates its a pretty late bottle. It could still be 1920 and hand tooled.
The company seemed to be in business well into the 19th century. I think a descendant still runs a medical supply store there.
Did you dig it like that or buy it?

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

Any patent medicine applies, I will add it but keep in mind it may not show up for a while since the web files are only periodically uploaded. Thanks
I don't care when it's there I just enjoy being able to add to sites like your's, Tod's and Ron's....Old houses can be a challenge for sure, I'm lucky to have learned from some of the best plumbers around in my family.

I once went to a house in town of an older couple who needed a new water heater on the recommendation of a local cop I knew. When I got there I found out the heater was 34 years old and the drip took three days to fill a tiny dixie cup, as I was changing it the woman says to me" You look just like the young man who installed it with his father all those years ago". Turned out it was my grandfather and father who installed it, because of it's age my father recommended I call the maker to tell them about how the heater lasted all those years. They were so happy they gave me the heater for free and used her picture in a print ad to sell heaters in trade magazine....very cool

dogtx

Reaction score
I dug it
It was wedged between the roots.

dogtx

Reaction score
And I have one just like it that is clear.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: dogtx

And I have one just like it that is clear.
It's nice but I'm going with sun colored, it is a beauty Dog...[;)]

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Did you personally dig that pharmacy? IMO, the straw color came as a result of artificial exposure to ultraviolet light. The natural rays of the sun don't tend to affect glass in that way, at least not in my experience. I have dug many hundreds of bottles from late 19th and early 20th Century Nevada mining camp dumps and did not find any selenium glass that had turned any color. The manganese cleared glass all had turned a deep purple.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
RE: Colored Medicine

Typically the dug selenium bleached glass just have a slight straw colored tint.
The only ones I have seen that dark were UV irradiated. Interesting item.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster