Columbia Flask: earlyglass, kungfufighter, baltbottles a nice debate are you in!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I have studied Amelungs and Stiegels glass very closely the last four years and the flint glass from both factory's eventually turn lavender with time.Mike you posted in my Columbia flask topic from a few days ago in the historical bottles glass Website portion of the forum that the lavender versions you have seen are stunning in look.With that said I offer the following hypothesis and how lavender glass really comes about as a color.
Manganese, the glassmakers soap" was used in differing quantities as a clarifying agent as long as glass has been blown. The natural color of glass is dependant on the impurities in the glass batch and will normally have a greenish or brown cast (see early bottles). Manganese clarifies the impurities to make it clear. It's also the chemical that makes purple glass purple (depending on quantity). Clear Flint glass will turn, but because of the flint, and the iron oxide, it will turn a grayish lavender instead of the deeper purples seen in soda lime glass.This is the case with a partial Columbia flask posted by forum member cobaltbot on my Columbia post in this same section.

I believe the flask that cobaltbot shows pictured might very well had been made in Philadelphia at the old Kensington glass works much earlier then current attribution asertains.Flint glass was not made or used at any of the glass works in Philadelphia or New Jersey after 1795 and not again until 1829 when Dr Dyott reintroduced it to the Philadelphia market.Being the fact that the later Columbia flasks have the Union Glass works stamped on them and that the Union Glass works were in fact the old Kensington glass works started in 1771.It stands to reason that the original flask made in this mold might be older, much older then previously thought and you can see that it is identical to Amelungs glass 1785 to 1795 in color Lavender grey and clarity.The style of this flask also copies the British and Northern European styles very closely with the tapered bottom and the vertical ribbing.It is entirely possible that this flask may very well have been made in the late 1790s or very early 1800s based on the following facts.

In 1791, three commissioners appointed by President Washington named the area destined for the seat of the U.S. government "the Territory of COLUMBIA"; it was subsequently (1801) organized as the District of Columbia.

In 1792, the Columbia Rediviva sailing ship gave its name to the Columbia River in the American Northwest.
In 1798, Joseph Hopkinson wrote lyrics for Philip Phile's 1789 inaugural "President's March" under the new title of "Hail, Columbia." Once used as de facto national anthem of the United States, it is now used as the entrance march of the Vice President of the United States.
In part, the more frequent usage of the name Columbia reflected a rising American neoclassicism, exemplified in the tendency to use Roman terms and symbols. The selection of the EAGLE as the national bird, the use of the term Senate to describe the upper house of Congress, and the naming of Capitol Hill and the Capitol building were all conscious evocations of Roman precedents.

I capitalized the words COLUMBIA and EAGLE as the basis of my theory.Historical Flasks have had a history of portraying National events either during or slightly after they occur because of National fervor at the time of any given event.What event was greater to this country then the selecting of a new capitol city by President Washington and his commissioners.

At the height of the American Revolution, Miss Columbia, "came to represent the spirit of the country and American ideals.Just before Britain and the United States waged the War of 1812, Miss Columbia began appearing in political cartoons in the 18008 to 1810 time period.Based on this historical information,the lavender color of the Columbia flasks most likely flint in makeup,void of the embossing Union glass works on the flask. Is it not possible these flasks were made sometime between 1795 and 1812 in Philadelphia and were in fact our first historical flasks. Most of our historical flasks depicting National events occured in short time either during or just after the moment.Why should it be any different with this flask.It is entirely possible that Mckearin and all the other glass historians who did a remarkable job charting these flasks like they did simply did not gather enough information about this flask when rationalizing the ones not marked Kennsington.
I would like to hear from all of you or any of the forum members who wish to join in as to your thought's as to why or why not this theory is sound or not. Here is a picture of the partial Columbia flask cobaltbot found.

16221A56B2E34B3090419464633B2353.jpg

Attachments

• 16221A56B2E34B3090419464633B2353.jpg
    16221A56B2E34B3090419464633B2353.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 80

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
The Flask I posted showing the Union Glass works embossed on the base. The manfacture date of 1828 to 1835 was established because this was the operating time of the Union Glass works.The Union glass works could have easily obtained the mold through their purchase of the glass works which changed hands several times from the time of the inception of the works by Robert Towars and Stephen Leacock in 1771 to the flint manufacturing years of Isaac Gray and John Elliot from 1772 to 1795.The flasks void of the glass works embossing are also different in the way they present the Eagle.

D6972C22FEAF40C2BAC23A87F5FD6735.jpg

Attachments

• D6972C22FEAF40C2BAC23A87F5FD6735.jpg
    D6972C22FEAF40C2BAC23A87F5FD6735.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 73

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
In the corning museum in one of their premeir show cases is a decantur from these works.The decantur is the sheared top bottle on the lower right.
It is a flint bottle made at the works in 1790.

99F5AD7598B44FF8B9017883C4B4E24A.jpg

Attachments

• 99F5AD7598B44FF8B9017883C4B4E24A.jpg
    99F5AD7598B44FF8B9017883C4B4E24A.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 80

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I think you are right about the lavender for sure, makes sense. To clarify mine does have the Kennsington / Union Co. embossing or something like that. I think you could be right about the non-embossed being earlier though and I wish I had one of those (or even a partial) The capped bust dime also came out in1809 which features the same obverse and reverse that the flask has. I'm happy to be digging either one but it would be really cool to have one of the first historicals made which claim now goes to masonics? I think?

earlyglass

Reaction score
Matt,

That is the "RW" bottle... Richard Wistar. One of the most important American bottles.

Good eye!

Mike

earlyglass

Reaction score
Steve,

The Columbia posted is a good one, pretty rare. The most common are the shorter examples with the "B&W" script embossing.
Any of them in color would do just fine!

Mike

baltbottles

Reaction score
My opinion is that both molds marked union and Co and those that are not marked are used at the same time during the 1830s. I have dug shards of both types I have a chunk of a blue Union and company floating around here somewhere. They both show up in 1830s context pits most often with the odd one being found with 1840s stuff. Here's a picture of a green one without the Union and Co embossing.

Chris

A7E9D65CA9FA456597E08E33E276802F.jpg

Attachments

• A7E9D65CA9FA456597E08E33E276802F.jpg
    A7E9D65CA9FA456597E08E33E276802F.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 81

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member