Common Bottle...Uncommon Color...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
I dug this the other day and after 4 days in the tumbler, this is what showed up. The photo doesn't do it justice but it is a light olive amber as best as I can describe it. This is my kind of bottle, pretty and inexpensive. It fits well in my humble collection.

9D7BDC1FBD39430AA18B5C907AFCD3E1.jpg

Attachments

• 9D7BDC1FBD39430AA18B5C907AFCD3E1.jpg
    9D7BDC1FBD39430AA18B5C907AFCD3E1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 52

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
Here's another bottle just out of the tumbler. It's a tall strap sided flask with lots of what I would call tiny champaigne seed bubbles throughout. It's a real pretty bottle and a keeper to be sure.

769C1C3AABDC42F0AAE6D2445809BB5A.jpg

Attachments

• 769C1C3AABDC42F0AAE6D2445809BB5A.jpg
    769C1C3AABDC42F0AAE6D2445809BB5A.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 45

sandman

Reaction score
That is very nice. I think the photo looks really good as well.

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlediger

Looking good Dan, looookin good

Digger Ry

Thanks Ry. I have taken your advise and am using the 1500 almost exclusively now. It does a great job and I like the 1-step process that cleans and polishes all at one time. Now I just leave the bottle in for 3 to 4 days and the results are quite good. Amber of course is the easiest to clean but the aquas get pretty clean as well. I will stick with the 1500 until I get a little better at this thing called tumbling.

bottlediger

Reaction score
You used 1500 on that flask and left it in for 3-4 days on slow and it came out like that?

Digger Ry

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
Yep, both bottles were put in at the same time and tumbled for 3-1/2 days using 1500 grit. I only have one speed and put the round Wyeth and the flask on at the same time. I didn't check exactly but it was probably tumbling at 75-80 RPMs. The Wyeth had a potstone in it too but it never got any bigger. There is some radiating but no major cracking. I guess I was lucky but I just wanted to see what would happen.

bottlediger

Reaction score
Nice dude, thats pretty good results for 3.5 days. As for your speed, your really gona have to watch it on None round bottles. I tumble my rounds fast at 70 RMP and my other shapes/pontils at 30 RPM max. I would def suggest you do not tumble any pontil bottles at that speed unless IP sodas. That flask you did was a pretty beefy bottle but at that speed it can get knocked out of the base stopple and also the copper kinda flys across the bottle instead of creating a nice slide motion which gets all sides corners of odd none round shape bottles. If a bottle gets knocked out of the base stopple and you do not catch it right away, it will cause a bottle to slam against the canister and most likly break. Again great job Dan!

Digger Ry

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Nice strapside Dan. Not the typical lip.

I have see a few bottles that came loose during tumbling with cutter and almost had the base wore off the bottle. A sad event for a rare bottle.

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
I realize that I am doing things that probably shouldn't be done. I checked the RPMs and it is tumbling at 70. I didn't consider either of these 2 bottles rare by any means and that is why I took a chance and tumbled them at the higher speed. I have never tried to tumble a pontiled bottle yet and realize that I would have to slow it down considerably. Still practicing but am pleased with some of the results. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate your advise and will pay much closer attention once I get a rarer bottle to tumble.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter