Construction Finds...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

caross

Reaction score
Greetings all, first post.

I found you all via Google, so I'm hoping you can help me continue the search and possibly help me identify these.

We moved to PA from Oregon last year and were lucky enough to find an empty lot in Bryn Mawr, PA - About 7 miles West of Philly.

Anyway, through some general investigation on the area we came up with the following bits of related information. First JPG of a Pennsylvania Railroad Plate showing the Rosemont Station & Post Office which is near the construction site. And a township map image of Lower Merion Township also showing surrounding areas. Apparently, according to some of the local old-timers I've met in the area, the lot we are building on was / was near the RR Worker's camps. Now, the road is on the township maps all the way back to 1871, so I'm not sure how truthful this information really is... but it is a data point.

As far as information about the lot, the previous owner actually tore down the hose and leveled the lot back in 2006. The house that he removed was supposedly build in the late 1920s. Our new house covers some of the old house footprint, but has a 10ft basement and a large back porch which is turning up soil that may have never been touched since 1920s. In truth, I think some of it has never been touched as I see some very interesting strata in the dirt.

The images below are of bottles I pulled out of the ground (3-6ft down) on the back of the lot - about 30 ft from where the back of the old house stood.

Bottle 1
Brown glass. Has well defined "banding" up the sides. A "D" is embossed on the bottom.
Dimensions: Tear-dop-ish. 8 1/8 High. 3 1/4 inches wide at the wides point. Tapers to 2 3/4 inches at the bottom.
xEMLv.jpg

Bottle 2
Clear glass. 4 "C"s are embossed around the upper neck of the bottle.
Dimensions: 9 1/2 High. 2 5/8 inches wide at the wides point.
CHESTER BREWING CO is printed on one side.
CHESTER PA on the other.
12 1/2 FL.OZ. is printed low on one side.
And the Bottom has REGISTERED.
Yx0H1.jpg

Bottle 3
Clear glass. 4 "C"s are embossed around the upper neck of the bottle.
Dimensions: 8 1/8 inches high. 2 1/4 inches wide at the wides point.
Image of a "Flying Eagle" and 7 1/2 FLD.OZS on one side.
Image of a "Flying Eagle" and REGISTERED on the other side.

Then,
"James A. Green
23217-19 N. 30th St
Philada,"

Is printed on the main part of the bottle.
jgiLW.jpg

Any hints, ideas or thoughts on these bottle would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 340B32238C7F410BB7C30B4DAA22D988.jpg
    340B32238C7F410BB7C30B4DAA22D988.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 74

bostaurus

Reaction score
Probably not a good idea to give the exact location...While the majority of folks on here are wonderful people there probably are some that jump at the chance to 'jump' someone's digging spot.
I like the flask...

caross

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. But it is not exact... and, well, now it is covered in concrete anyway. The map shows the Rosemont / Bryn Mawr town area... mainly for the location of the rail... thought it would be useful. I can remove the Map URL entirely if you think it wise.

The images I took today, but the bottles were found during construction phase.

bostaurus

Reaction score
If it is all covered in concrete it will not be a problem. I thought you were still digging there. I seem to remember that there were some folks that said found the location of their dig just by land marks in the pictures they posted. Yikes.

caross

Reaction score
Yea, patio foundation and garage foundation.

But, I do appreciate the comment and concern.

botlguy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Keep in touch if interested.

The amber / brown whiskey flask dates from 1890 - 1910 + / - , worth probably about $10 - 20, the second is a beer, from 1890 - 1920 depednding on top, worth $5.00 - $10.00, third a soda circa 1920 - 30, worth depends on rarity.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator