Copper Jar???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Owen

Reaction score
Pardon an item that is not made of glass, but I am drawing a complete blank on this thing, and am stretching for long shots. I friend has found six of these copper jars on a family farm and wonders what they are for. I drew a blank... Anyone recognize these? They are made of spun copper, but the ring around the opening is brass. They stand about 12 inches tall. Any Ideas???

Attachments

• 9fdb4eb27b664600a3b3d2c448a0a078.jpg
    9fdb4eb27b664600a3b3d2c448a0a078.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 67

epgorge

Reaction score
At first I thought it an old copper fire extinguisher, like we use to have in the U.S. Army. But, found on a farm, I wonder now if it was some kind of a feeder. You would hold onto the round ring and throw out grain or chicken feed from that. Just a guess. Part of a Still? Regardless, it probably has antiquity value if not weight of copper, which is on the rise. Nice find anyway.Ep

ScottBSA

Reaction score
My guess is ancient Mesopotamian grain storage pots. I like the idea of the fire extinguisher, but would it need some kind of fitting for the pump handle or lock down mechanism if it was pressurized? I love a good mystery.I am also seeing art value outweighing scrap value.

Bixel

Reaction score
I am thinking the same thing Jim, copper milk jug. The size is a touch small, but I know the copper ones were a variety of sizes.

sunrunner

Reaction score
a 100 or so years ago copper smiths cud still be found in most large towns. And thay cud make anything for you.So with that sead it cud have been made for a number of things.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229