Cornflower Blue or Blue

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deenodean

Reaction score
This American Porcelain Lined jar in RB 10 is only listed in HG size as light green or blue. Would this jar be classified as cornflower blue or THE blue color mentioned in the book? Book value on each color is $40-50 , just wondering why this jar sold for 3 times as much?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130856323530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

zecritr

Reaction score
i would say it's blue and that person was just a good seller :)

jimsears

Reaction score
While I think that "blue" is a fair description for this color, it really is pretty much the same as things that Doug calls "cornflower" elsewhere in the Red Book. Despite the impression you may have gotten from the price guide, this shade is much, much rarer than greenish-aqua for the American Porcelain Lined jar. Assuming the jar really looks like its Ebay photo, I would say the buyer did very well. If you are able to find true blue examples in the $40 to $50 range where you live, I am very interested.

Jim Sears

deenodean

Reaction score
Thanks Jimsears for your impressions. Doug Lebourne's call of a HG blue on this jar is really a true cornflower blue, as depicted in the photo's shown by the seller. I figured the cornflower blue in this jar might be a rarity, that being the reason the jar sold at such a higher value. That is the 1st HG APL I have seen for sale on ebay. Since I have been on a buying spree lately I decided to let this one pass, even though I had my finger on the 'bid' button on the final seconds of the bidding !! [:(] Next time ( maybe ) for sure !!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter