Couple of my babies...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ronvae

Reaction score
I just got some film developed today (jar people, please answer my ? under jars...I'm dyin') & my bottles from last month were on there too. I can't resist posting. The Aqua is MOXIE NERVE FOOD LOWELL MASS PATENTED. It was in the muck at the bottom of an inland lake. Probably about 3 feet down. Not near any wrecks, parks, or sensitive areas. I found all kinds of fun info about Moxie on the internet, and the same formula is now sold as a bad-tasting soda pop that is good for you (how does that differ from patent medicine?). I can't figure out the maker's mark, though--it is an "I" with a halo around the top. Anybody seen that one? I'm guessing the age at 1876-1906 because he had to remove "Nerve Food" from the name that year. Seems stops at the shoulder, very heavy glass, with big bubbles. Any way to narrow the date?

The clear bottle has no embossing, a really strange screw top, the seam goes through the lip, and it has alot of bubbles. Ketchup? Relish? Any ideas?

Wt59258.jpg

Attachments

• Wt59258.jpg
    Wt59258.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 84

ronvae

Reaction score
I bet yopu're right--the mouth is kind of wide for ketchup, and the bottle is a little big for relish...it probably was salad dressing. Found it wedged under rocks in Lake Superior. [:)]

diverdown2

Reaction score
just one piece of info on Moxie, drink enough of it and you get used to it

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Pat, Moxie is used in Europe as an aperitif. How that nasty tasting crap is supposed to in crease your appatite is beyond me.

Durkee's used that same bottle in two sizes for their sauce and salad dressing. You could get a large and small in both.

That is a nice Moxie.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday