Crane & Brigham, S.F.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lordbud

Reaction score
Amazing that there are numerous sub-categories of brand name product bottles,
for example Western olive oil bottles. The later partnership of Coffin with Redington produced a monogrammed olive oil bottle, a Florida water, and so on. Try accumulating
a collection of Western perfumes/cologne bottles (not including Florida waters). That really narrows down the choices. Some druggists/pharmacies also produced their own
perfumes/colognes. C. Bayly and H. B. Slaven both produced embossed druggist bottles with the added word "Perfumer", hailing from San Francisco, for example.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Lordbud

Sounds like some real interesting "Garage Sale" boxes you've got there.

SF Bay Area extracts ...? About how far is your garage from San Jose?

Not far. I'm in "Sackamenna". Been steady diggin' for nearly 50 years until cancer kinda slowed me down this year. Gettin' back to in a short while, soon's my strength gets fully back to normal. I sold a load of prescriptions, meds, OP unembossed commons from the hills, and other stuff to a local flea market seller after the Golden Gate show. Gotta look and see what's left.

Wilkie

Reaction score

Okay here's my Langley & Michaels S.F. extract in the same style/embossing as the Crane & Brigham (even has the same floral/vine/leaves pattern on the other side).
Are you interested in parting with your Langley & Michaels extract. It would look good on my shelf next to my Crane & Brigham.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Sorry I can't part with any of my extract bottles, it is like a collection within a collection for me. Everything I weeded out of my bottle boxes went out via ebay in late 2007 into early 2008.

When the weather cools down I will go through my storage room (it has never recovered from my ebay selling) and take pictures of my unlisted (in Miller's book) SF druggist/pharmacy bottles. I also plan on posting pictures of my Bay Area homeopathic pharmacies.

Wilkie

Reaction score
Dr. Barnes Ess Jamaica Ginger R. Hall & Co. Proprietors

I have two other varieties of Dr. Barnes jakes. When I get home from work today I will take pictures and post. Maybe I'll do my whole jake collection and post it on my "myspace".

Are "all" Jamaica Gingers considered "jakes" or just the ones of the common "jake" shape? I have several other Jamaica Ginger bottles of different shapes, "eastern".

Wilkie

Reaction score

Finally since Jakes were mentioned earlier in this thread, I post a picture of my oldest jake:

Dr. Barnes Ess Jamaica Ginger R. Hall & Co. Proprietors

Anyone know if there is a Hall's Sarsaparilla with R. Hall embossed, rather than the far more common J. R. Gates & Co. or Shepardson & Gates variants?

3C5BAAA8DF574AD9B739D33CBBDEA4BE.jpg
Here are the two other variants I mentioned of your bottle. I don't have the variant you have, I'm glad to know it exists though so I can keep my eyes open for one.
1: Dr BARNES / Ess JAMAICA GINGER / SHEPARDSON & GATES / PROPRIETORS
2: Dr BARNES / Ess JAMAICA GINGER / J R GATES & Co / PROPRIETORS

A522767BFABC4D8A8D8CA15F17686832.jpg

Attachments

• A522767BFABC4D8A8D8CA15F17686832.jpg
    A522767BFABC4D8A8D8CA15F17686832.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 65

Lordbud

Reaction score
I bought my Dr. Barne's J. R. Gates example in Fresno of all places; used to be a really excellent antique store there that had a Room Full of Bottles for sale.
I think it was called "Kulik's Antiques"...

Wilkie, are your two pictured applied or tooled?

Wilkie

Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward