crazy find in a well

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jvharp

Reaction score
I was searching some property for a dump yesterday and ran across a well that was partially filled in. I dropped my magnet (big one from a huge speaker on a wire) in the hole and a bottle came up! I got it close enough to read one side and check it out for a few minutes before I lost it but it wouldn't fit through the hole with the magnet so I lowered it back down and hope to go back and get it in a day or two. The bottle was a dark color (brown or black) and was like an onion or maybe a sqaut. The tag which is what the magnet stuck to read H. something the magnet was in the way and under the H. was WAR something and then the end of that word had EN. I have never heard of a bottle that had any metal in them. Is this common or should I try to get in the well?

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
That is really interesting. If I were you I would definitely try to retrieve it. From what you described it sounds like maybe the metal on the bottle could be a type of makers seal possibly? I don't know just throwing things out there.

jvharp

Reaction score
I've gotta go back. I can't stand it, even if it has to come out in pieces I wanna see it. This well is pretty deep and I would be afraid to get in it but I can't take anymore, I have to try to uncover the top and at least try to get it out. Any suggestions on getting the hole uncovered without dumping a bunch of junk down in it?

DIGGER DAVE

Reaction score
Think flask,
Bryan is correct. Go back ! Two things come to mind. First war not uncomon in a flask second squat or onion very similar to a flask under your circumstance. Point is GO BACK !!!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Jeff, I heard the best way to dig a narrow old well to small to fit in is to dig a hole beside it, when you get to the level you want to be, take out some stones the structure is basically a free standing design and you could take approx. 20% of the base out without to many major problems.I am a stone mason....Taz

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib