Creeks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wildcat Wrangling Kat

Reaction score
In my area. It is too populated. If I try to dig in a stream they would freak. I just look for things sticking out of the banks or any that have been freed up in the stream bed. If I travel I can find places that I can probe and dig.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Well…. I know that one- it really sux. You can’t dig them but if they are freed up, it’s ok? Here, it’s probably illegal- good thing I’m a rebel till I die (or end up in jail!) Cali is ridiculous - I own a couple of mountains my dad gave me- in the wilderness of the trinity alps on a 6 mile dirt road in the boondocks- remote. It’s a wildlife game preserve with the only creek/water in 20 miles. But the department of fish & game- those guys will sit way up on the mountain, far, far away and watch to make sure your not removing a couple of flag stones off your own property- or what your doing in your creek while gold panning- are you messing up anything that might effect the sucker fishes ecosystem in anyway at all, so they could write you a ticket! And forget ever using the shovel sluice again, way up, away from the water. They were taking about cracking down on atv’s- way out there! I don’t like to see the soil structure ruined forever, either, but don’t see anything wrong with riding on the roads out there. They want to make it illegal? Hey, buddy, why don’t you better- chase down those MS13 guys growing 8500 plants on everybody’s property or- that bunch breaking into everyone’s house as soon as they leave? There’s gotta be something better they could spend time doing?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Well…. I know that one- it really sux. You can’t dig them but if they are freed up, it’s ok? Here, it’s probably illegal- good thing I’m a rebel till I die (or end up in jail!) Cali is ridiculous - I own a couple of mountains my dad gave me- in the wilderness of the trinity alps on a 6 mile dirt road in the boondocks- remote. It’s a wildlife game preserve with the only creek/water in 20 miles. But the department of fish & game- those guys will sit way up on the mountain, far, far away and watch to make sure your not removing a couple of flag stones off your own property- or what your doing in your creek while gold panning- are you messing up anything that might effect the sucker fishes ecosystem in anyway at all, so they could write you a ticket! And forget ever using the shovel sluice again, way up, away from the water. They were taking about cracking down on atv’s- way out there! I don’t like to see the soil structure ruined forever, either, but don’t see anything wrong with riding on the roads out there. They want to make it illegal? Hey, buddy, why don’t you better- chase down those MS13 guys growing 8500 plants on everybody’s property or- that bunch breaking into everyone’s house as soon as they leave? There’s gotta be something better they could spend time doing?!

I never could understand their priorities.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Mailman1960

Reaction score

I happen to live in one of the 3 worst states IL. (N.Y) I hope people wake up soon.

zsmith333

Photographer, bottle hunter, dad.
Reaction score
Little of both. I primarily do creeks in my area, and have found a couple locations that were dumps dating back to the 1880s. Im going to check one spot I found last week out today with my probe if i get a chance.

GeorgiaRobert

Reaction score
I remember visiting my great grandmother in the early 70’s. I would be tasked with taking out the trash. The first time I had to ask where? It was next to a creek back then. I’ve been there recently and it’s just all covered up with dirt now. About once a month the trash pile would be burned so I don’t think it would be worth the effort in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
Do y'all actually dig in/around creeks and creek beds, or is it more just looking on the surface?
Little of both, depending on the terrain, area and history?

Bear with me, I'm slowly learning..
Digging with a friend the last two weeks we've had amazing luck digging along the bank of a local stream. Muddy but very productive. People like to dump their trash off a stream bank, did 150 years ago, still do today.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I remember visiting my great grandmother in the early 70’s. I would be tasked with taking out the trash. The first time I had to ask where? It was next to a creek back then. I’ve been there recently and it’s just all covered up with dirt now. About once a month the trash pile would be burned so I don’t think it would be worth the effort in this case.

It's worth it, the only place I dig is a burn dump. That's nothing.

Attachments

• 20211204_230419.jpg
    20211204_230419.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • 20211208_002056.jpg
    20211208_002056.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88

willong

Reaction score

If your great-grandmother had been living there most of her life already by the 1970's, when you visited, then it might well be worth digging. I think that is especially true if that creek ran in a ravine and the dump spilled over the embankment. Since fire tends to travel uphill, items near the bottom of the trash pile might not have seen temperatures hot enough to deform glass. Good luck if you reconsider.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4