Crude and/or unusual tops - lips

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CazDigger

Reaction score
This shard was from a privy that had 1840-50s stuff, this top looks even older and the cool thing is that scratched/etched into the glass is 1-3 1/2 I assume the volume of the contents? Any guesses?

DSCN3675.jpg

CazDigger

Reaction score
This is my favorite spring water for eye-appeal. It is a whittled yellow quart Syracuse Springs Excelsior with a long neck and oversize drippy applied top. Some of the earlier examples have this, most have the normal plain-jane version.

DSCN3679.jpg

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well you people sure put a lot of great effort into showing all these finishes in such elegantly pictured reality. I have collected a lot of illustrations of finishes with the intent of making a blog to represent them for the bottle collectors reference.. I haven't felt I had done enough to cover the scope. Your collective post really puts what I was planning to shame. I am sure there are thousands of variations, but no one has really made a book of them that I know about.

Thanks for all the good work - collectively you just make the FORUM use up a few hours each day - and perk my interest with your work. Clarence RED Matthews

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hi Caz (Mark) great post. Of all the lips in the post, my favorite one is yours with the 3 1/2 marked on it. I've only got a couple of bottles, and a brick that have numbers or initials scratched in to them, but none are nearly as good as your shard there. I see them as secret messages from 200 years ago. so random. Hope to see you soon some time

CazDigger

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the input. Hey Bram, I know you must have some good crude tops to post! I have seen a few other early, early 1800s black glass bottles with words or numbers scratched into them. Sure was cheaper than having a mold made with embossing, and few bottles were embossed that early anyway.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Here's one I kinda forgot about,....I found it on top of an old stone wall in an early 1800's Irish settlement. It was 90% there, and one winter day I glued it back together....looked like kids had set it there for testing their stone throwing ability....All the shards were still where they landed pretty much, buried under a thick layer of moss.

0FED3F2C3A254A579423EB3DB970124B.jpg

Attachments

• 0FED3F2C3A254A579423EB3DB970124B.jpg
    0FED3F2C3A254A579423EB3DB970124B.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 60

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26