Curious bottle owner

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NYMICK

Reaction score
Hi, just curious as to the possible history of a bottle (age, use, worth, etc.) found in my previous 105 yr. old home. It's clear with a goldish liquid. I am unable to open the stopper to empty it. It has a seem up near the neck, a slotted stopper and a 'fluted ??' edge around the bottom. There are no insignias or labels. Eric from 'before 1900?' states 'My guess is 1915± apothecary or chemical bottle. That’s a ground stopper and they can be tough to remove when stuck. It also depends on what’s in it. The indent is probably from the original closure, a wire bail, kind of a lightning jar/champagne combination wire. Can you picture that? Value is tough but probably not too much.'

Bz77703.jpg

Attachments

• Bz77703.jpg
    Bz77703.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 54

NYMICK

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the bottom - sorry it's not clearer.

Db86146.jpg

Attachments

• Db86146.jpg
    Db86146.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 60

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I would tend to agree with some of what Eric says, as the bottle seems to be a post 1915 or so pharmacy or chemists bottle.
The groove/notch in the center/top of the stopper is decorative, highly unlikely that there was a closure of any kind. A closure would only increase the odds of the stopper getting stuck, as it is ground glass.
Alas, with the stuck stopper which can be a bear to remove, if it can be removed at all. Value would be slight, less than 10 bucks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles