D.L. Ormsby small stoneware bottle comparison. which one is earlier?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

twowheelfan

Reaction score
Both D.L. Ormsby, both the small version, about 6.75 to 7" tall. my question, which one is earlier? or are they concurrent?
1d_zps9394101b.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
I dunno, but they sure make a pretty pair.

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
Looks like the left one was made on a monday morining and the right one made later in the week...been there... DD

sunrunner

Reaction score
remember this bottles were thoun by hand ,they were waiedout ,but that was it ,with out a hight gage, thay were eyed .So thay maybe throun at the same time.

twowheelfan

Reaction score
thanks guys, yes, they are quite nice, he was in business for 40 years or so, I just thought that maybe the shape of the lip followed a style that would indicate a decade, or type of beverage or something like that. I dont have reference books for stoneware vessels, styles and shapes. thought maybe someone out there knew. I understand that they were thrown by hand and will vary from piece to piece. the smaller ,more grayish one was found in a Greenwich village privy years ago in 1850-60 context. the taller one was found in a Hudson river landfill area in NYC that was active from 1790 to about 1850-60.

luckiest

Reaction score
From what I have seen the bottles stamped on the side are earlier than the ones stamped on the shoulder I really don't know for sure but I like to speculate. Great bottles by the way, these small primitives are my favourites!

twowheelfan

Reaction score
interesting theory Luckiest. I will need to dig, collect several more to compare.Thanks for the input.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler