Dark green 13" wine bottle with punt, bordeaux?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

trashpicker

Reaction score
That's very interesting and good to know. We got excited because the neighbor called me over one day to see this antique "giant wine bottle" he had, he wanted to see if I knew it's value. When most people say giant, they usually mean twice the size or some such. Walked across the street into his shed and to my astonishment there sat a very large 20~ gallon glass carboy (around 3 1/2ft tall, 2 1/2ft wide) still in the original wooden shipping crate. Amazingly beautiful large bottle, aquamarine, the glass about 1/2" thick.My guess was TOC just from the part of the bottle which was visible and its crate. Didn't get a chance to pull it from the crate to see any details. The embossing on the crate was very worn so we tried a graphite rubbing to find out what it was but only obtained hints of the letters. At any rate, he said "this was the only thing that survived my house fire. We tried to carry it over here but it was too heavy and had to dump it out". So I asked "Dump *what* out?" "The wine" he said.D'oh! He thought because it vinegarized it was worthless. Not really worth anything as wine, but as a vintage vinegar perhaps! Probably one of the coolest bottles I've ever seen. Might be worth a pretty penny. We were unable to find a reference to anything nearly that large. edit: spelling

Attachments

• D6B202C559154CDAA5977719AEA66C97.jpg
    D6B202C559154CDAA5977719AEA66C97.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 59

trashpicker

Reaction score
My memory may have exaggerated! I found the picture and added it, probably only a 15 gal.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green Mountain Mom