Date this Dump?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ehkahk

Reaction score
I found a dump last summer. it is between an old railway bed and a creek. Basically the dump is actually two which are about 150 feet apart and were dumped down the steep slope which is between the bed and the river below. The surface stuff looks pretty modern to me but theres a whole lot of stuff compacted in them, and im not sure how deep it may go at the bottom of the slope etc. Tons of leaves, i need to bring a rake and a shovel with me when I go back. Theres lots of glass, ive seen a bike frame, a bunch of other stuff, just pretty much a jumble of everything it looks on the surface.

here are some pics, maybe someone can guesstimate a possible age from what I found so far.

On left to right:

Rauleigh's (sp?) trade mark

nesbitt's

ketchup bottle perhaps?

Pepsi

Henry Wampoles .. it's hard to read the writing.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

and this last broken top gives me hope that there is some older stuff under there somewhere.

4.jpg

The railroad that was once there goes back to the 1890's, ive found old coal all along the sides along most of the bed.

I'm guessing pretty modern, farmer's been dumping this across the railway on the other side of his farm field.

Paul

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
HI Paul,
The stuff you've dug dates between 1920-1940 I'd say. And you're right, the light blue shard is older, looks like a 1880s or 90's medicine lip. Obviously you'd rather dig the 1800's stuff, but if you have access to a 1920's dump, it is fun to dig as well ( until the 1840's untouched dump comes your way! ).

I dig 1900's dumps all the time, and often times come home with a good, sometimes valuable piece. Your best bet for finding a "valuable" bottle in a dump of that vintage is finding a good poison bottle, a good odd colored fruit jar, or a rare milk bottle. Also you may find a "late throw", like a pontilled bitters that was sitting in the barn for 40 years and finally got thrown out with the trash, but dont hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

Good luck with that dump, hope you find a jewel in there!
Bram

monsterdigger

Reaction score
Hey paul, were are you diggin, I find lots of those Rawleigh bottles here in illinois. I will post pictures if interested. Im guessing your dump is 1910-1950. all of them bottles look machine made...................................Jake

monsterdigger

Reaction score
Machine made bottles dont mean there cant be any blown bottles deeper. Here in Illinois i dug 1910-1940's bottles about 1' down and 3' down i was finding 1880's whiskeys. Some dumps were used for along period of time..............keep diging....Jake

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Rawleigh bottles were all over N.America.I've found amber,aqua,and clear from 1870's to 1970's.They still make the products.
At this dump sounds like you need to go deep,start at the bottom of the hill and work in,but if you plan on tunneling make sure you dig with a buddy,Dave.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin