Date this Ink

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ehkahk

Reaction score
Can anyone date this ink, I'm assuming its an ink. 6.5 CM tall. Its got little bubbles in it. You can see the mould line which is on both sides of it. It looks like glass has been drooled on it, especially where it curves inward to the neck. The lip ain't prefect either, especially on the inside its thicker/thinner in spots.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks,

Paul

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Looks like a sheared and infolded lip...need to see the bottom...if there's no embossing, I'd guess 10-15 bucks here in new england...if it's pontiled, more...quite a bit more..

ehkahk

Reaction score
Wow interesting. Ok i'm in Canada :)

There is nothing on the bottom, except a slight circle.

Any idea on the age?

Tommorrow i'm gonna post in the dumps forum about the dump where I found it, as i found other stuff which is more modern & more pics.

TROG

Reaction score
The ink bottle appears to be approx 1895-1905 and is relatively common over here.

Bixel

Reaction score
Go metric system! Even better go Canada! Yah, I have seen some of those, and yes, probably worth about 10-15 dollars Canadian. You dont see them for sale often in GOOD condition. Where in Canada are you anyway?

Andyf

Reaction score
Hi,

This exact style/shape is also found in the UK. It's possible even that your bottle was English, but it 's probably not possible to be certain.

The seam marks seem quite pronounced on your bottle...

Andyf

Reaction score
Sorry I can't offer any expert or specific insight into the ink you found, although it is very similar to one I found about a month ago in some material excavated from a site known to be involved in the "Great Saint John Fire of 1877" (link has more info.)

http://new-brunswick.net/Saint_John/greatfire/greatfire.html

The bottle I found (please excuse it's unclean state) is lightly embossed with 'Staffords Ink'. It is also slightly larger (7.5cm), and has a more uniform top with pronounced seam stopping just shy of the lip. This bottle has no obvious signs of being pontiled.

Us54281.jpg

ehkahk

Reaction score
from the Hamilton area.

Thanks, it does look like that pic except no writing. The seam is pronounced, it looks like someone had dribbled glass along it. Sort of like pouring honey if you know what I mean.

I don't have the camera this week so I can't take pics of the other more modern stuff that I found yet.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85