Dawson, GA flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MedBottle1

Reaction score
You can dig in GA mostly year round. Depending on location it can be difficult. We have extremely hot summers and very cold winters. Maybe can dig 9-10 months out of the year comfortably. The problem with Dawson is that our Sanborn maps do not show a lot of privy locations and those that are listed have since been paved over or houses built on top of the locations. Landowners will not be willing to just go dig in their yards in the historical parts of town :/

MINNESOTA DIGGER

Reaction score
yeah sanborn does not show where the privies are that is for sure , however we seem to be able to find privies without them just fine , we have been digging in one town where sanborn fire maps did not cover , we have found about a dozen pits already and in the spring of 2013 will be back ,the hardest part about digging for me is finding where to dig , not the digging . , how deep are the privies in georgia ? torger hansen whiskey coffin flasks menomonie wis pint and half pint

358F368D60644E76B1FC7C1944A4958D.jpg

Attachments

• 358F368D60644E76B1FC7C1944A4958D.jpg
    358F368D60644E76B1FC7C1944A4958D.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 84

MedBottle1

Reaction score
I would not have any idea. I have personally never dug one up and I have yet to find someone in my town who has. We had a Chero-Cola bottling plant in the 1920s and a few other small bottlers but this is the first Whiskey I am hearing of. I would love to dig with someone but I have no idea where to start or where to even look for privies.

MINNESOTA DIGGER

Reaction score
the backyards of lots in downtown ares of dawson . we run about 50% on getting permission . then get a probe a couple of tarps and a shovel i am sure someone would be able to let you go on a dig, you may have to travel aways , . it is not unusual for us to drive over 200 miles round trip to dig a privy

MedBottle1

Reaction score
Well, the downtown area has a ton of old victorian style houses from the 1800s and I looked at some FI maps and found a few "wells" but that was the best I could do. I don't want to just show up in someones yard and have no idea what I am doing. I definitely need someone to go with who also has a metal detector. I wish I knew someone around here who did that type of stuff...

MedBottle1

Reaction score
You don't understand how much the town means to me and to be able to bring up some rare bottles that we never knew existed would be such a huge find and I would donate them to our museum with no questions asked. I am 25.

sandchip

Reaction score
Just emailed him, and thanks Surf. Happy New Year to you too, man.

MINNESOTA DIGGER

Reaction score
that sure is a nice flask . my experiance in minnesota leads me to believe that there are more then one embossed whiskey flask from dawson georgia , we have dug several; towns , eau claire wisconsin being one , we dug one whiskey . a shad 6 years ago . last year we dug 2 more but different . in other towns we find out about one 2-3 years later there is 1-2 or more from that town , menomonie wis is another example . princeton minn as well . st cloud mn too . i wish you good luck on your quest

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause