Dear, Western beer collector......

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NorCalBottleHunter

Reaction score
So, i recently have been on this western beer kick, and i always seem to have that two or three boxes of bottles that i have in some odd place, around the house, that i forget i have. While going through one of them this morning i find this beer and go to look it up in a newly aquired book,"here's to beers", and i cant seem to find it! Now, it is acid etched, and I am not seeing anything in there covering this type of embossing, nor is there anything in the reading explaining why or why not... so i just wanted to throw this little mystery out on the forum with hope that someone can shed some light on the subject? here it is, Front: John Wielands, extra pale. Back: cal bottling co. Any info would be awesome!

full shot
4234968378_622f23d248_o.jpg

front
4234194619_9c1b8f2263_o.jpg

back
4234194601_092b9436f7_b.jpg

the lip
4234968408_2f4a504dcd_o.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
Did you find that yourself? How tall is it?

NorCalBottleHunter

Reaction score
i did find it, out at a beach here in the bay. its a pint size, like the average beer. when i found it I actually thought it was unembossed, but once it dried i could see the acid etch

Lordbud

Reaction score
out at a beach here in the bay.

Am I misremembering or were you gonna pick up all the "non-mint" SF/Oakland/Alameda druggists from that beach and let me know what you found?[;)] I'm interested in any variants or "unlisted" druggists from them towns I don't have even if they are chipped, cracked, or otherwise unmint...[8D] I've emailed my digging buddy who has the Here's To Beers revised edition to check on your Wielands which is from SF, bottle very likely blown in Germany.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
That one looks like a mineral water that was etched and used by Wieland. We found a quart etched the same in Woodland a few months ago, and I have also picked them up from around Bair Island, out in the SF Bay.

NorCalBottleHunter

Reaction score
No, no, you are not misremembering, and i haven't forgot, i found the beer there two years ago and its been too cold and no really good tides in a while, April/May is when the monster minus tides come back, and there are going to be some good ones!!!! my goal this year is to find a few these beautiful things, but whole, i think I'd be good with about 5 of the 9+ inchers. the little guys seem to be the only ones that survive. ooops, this was a beer post....
4239043190_b4cdb76c9f_o.jpg

NorCalBottleHunter

Reaction score
I do have another one of these Wielands, with the same etching, same type of bottle/mold/lip, but its aqua and its a quart

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles