Decanter

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Road Dog. Your decanter is without doubt was made 1850 to 1860. The thing that I like about it is the Hydroflouric Acid Etching. This bottle was coated with wax and possibly marked with a transfer paper. The next step was to use a sharp pointed tool and scribe in the wax where the design lines were shown. After completing the tracing, the bottle was washed or dipped in the acid which etched the decoration. Time and the danger of using it, kept it from being used in a normal laboring industrial application.

I have a Kerosene Ceiling Light with three lights on it. The chimnes are oval with wide burner wicks. The shades are about 9" tall, hand blown and folded with tucks. The outside of them, was etched with this method. I bought it when I was nine or ten years old, at an auction for $ 9.00; when I brought it home my Dad blew his top and declared it would not be hung in our house. So I packed it and put it in the attic. Twenty five years later, after I bought the house, from my Mom. I put the light up over our family eating table. It is still there and one of my prize possesions.

I also would be interested in buying when you decide to sell it. RED Matthews

I

Jim

Reaction score
Nice decanter, RD, and definitely a steal for five bucks. With its intricate detail, that was a high-end piece back in its day. I wouldn't mind finding one of those myself. ~Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers