decanter

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sheri

Reaction score
I have an old decanter I am trying to find info on it. Etched it has Belle of Mason, Whiskey, Bach Meese & Co., Agents What I did find was

John Bach, Hermann Meese and Rudolf Luedke, in August of 1874, formed a partnership called the United Anaheim Wine Growers. Bach and Meese were located in San Francisco and Luedke, residing in Anaheim, could possibly have been the partner that supplied the wine products for the emerging liquor firm.
By February of 1877 the United Anaheim Wine Growers filed a notice of dissolution in the Daily Alta California and partners John Bach and Hermann Meese assumed all assets and
liabilities

So I believe it is before 1900, as I did have an artsy relative in the area at that time. If anyone knows where or how to find out info, I have done alot of internet searches and found nothing similar to this. Thanks Sheri

083FEC0A361B49BF8A84AD40F03BC439.jpg

Attachments

• 083FEC0A361B49BF8A84AD40F03BC439.jpg
    083FEC0A361B49BF8A84AD40F03BC439.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 33

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
There was a bitters bottle from San Fransisco called the BOTANIC/STOMACH BITTERS//BACH MEESE & CO/SAN FRANCISCO.It is a nice looking bottle and is original.It looks like a presentation piece maybe given from the distributor to hotel or saloon who was buying the product.I would say it looks to be from 1870 to 1880.Congratulations nice on a nice find.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I found this link for you Sheri.It took about 5 minutes for the page to load so be patient.Bach and Meese shipped all over the world.

http://www.archive.org/stream/pwsr2851892211892sanfrich/pwsr2851892211892sanfrich_djvu.txt

Sheri

Reaction score
Hey Thanks,
The page is not down loading correctly. I can get bits of info, so I will weed thru it and see if I can grab some info that might help. Thank you

Sheri

Reaction score
Hey Thanks,
It has been in my cabinet for years, so in order for it to go to someone that appreciates this type of treasure, I need to do some research. Trying to make room for more horse books :)

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Sheri! The information sounds good to me but I do have a question/comment.
The stopper looks ground but the neck does not. It may be the picture or it may not be the original stopper. Is the neck ground to fit?
It's a nice piece regardless, I'm just curious.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Yeah it took probably 10 solid minutes before I could use the scroll on the right hand side of the page.Once it loaded properly there was a good amount of information.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

Welcome to the forum Sheri! The information sounds good to me but I do have a question/comment.
The stopper looks ground but the neck does not. It may be the picture or it may not be the original stopper. Is the neck ground to fit?
It's a nice piece regardless, I'm just curious.
I believe it to be the original stopper. Several of my Cutter decanters have the same type. "Belle Of Mason" was a brand that may have been produced by the Pogue Distillery Co of Maysville, Ky, the seat of Mason County and an important whiskey making region. Incidentally, the Pogue family has recently applied to again distill small amounts of their "Old Pogue" whiskey in Maysville, the original home of the distillery.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I believe it to be the original stopper.
Is that common then? It doesn't look right to me. It looks like the stoppers ground but the neck isn't. It seams to stick up a bit more than it should as well. Like I said, it a great bottle, I'm just asking to learn.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen