December Dig, and Another Silver Coin. :D

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Due to Global Climate Change, no snow is present in this part of The Winter Wonderland (it used to snow before Halloween. Last year it snowed only once before Christmas.) First I hit up near our state-park. I didn't have a shovel and had only intended a walk, but I found remains to a bottle with a patent date of 1908 and "LOGAN BLOCK" pavers (all busted up.) So I grabbed the remains to a stoneware crock and began digging away, determining that it wasn't worth it due to melted glass. Kicking around the leaves built up over what must have once been a campsite, I found a very wrecked Carling's Black label can in red. I have the remains to two white versions.
House%2BDemo%2B029.JPG
Walking around, I searched for where there was once a house-- with more stoneware and a can I had left by a huge oak tree last year. I found it all, along with what I think is a '70s Miller High Life of no interest save for that which is recycling.
House%2BDemo%2B037.JPG
The Owens Oco Pep (whatever that means) can, which I had popped out of the ground last year and left, is (I think the website said) 1954 to 1960, as the logo (I recall it saying) changed in 1960. I had thought it'd be newer as it's aluminium. I had to cut the bottom out, as the can was badly damaged. I fixed, almost, the first side. Here's the other side....And the top. Later that week, I went to Fruitport-- a small township near here (within cycling distance for me.)I had a horrible morning of college exams, dizzy from when I woke up till about when I entered Fruitport to ship a package and mail a letter (letter to a friend in England :D) but I decided to do my first search around there for bottles.Crossing the road, I walked along a dead-end street with a sign that seemed so out of place (it said Fruitport Welcomes You) and hopped down a hill that fell into a swamp.There I found an old Clicquot Club bottle minus the Inuit figure on bottom (shame.) I also found what I think is a very modern Kerr jar, but it's embossed so.... *Put it in random dirty bag I found and walked all around a random road over their creek or river.* I eventually turned around and went to their lake, which I had not been at in many years, as I had recalled a pile of glass in the thorns (As a kid I found it, long before I had interest in bottles.)The oldest bottle shard I could date was late '30s, but I found a bunch of cork-lined caps still intact (very odd as it was in a highly damp area next to the water under the thorns.) I found a spoon, began digging through the thick glass beneath my feet, and found the first Lincoln Memorial Penny (1959) and a Bakelite button. After uncovering an ant-nest around a light-bulb (why do bulbs and little jars survive but not the thick-glass, embossed bottles?) I found a 1958 silver Canadian quarter.
House%2BDemo%2B035.JPG
I determined that there was an establishment there at one point, a few old foundations corroborating the idea, and found almost all of a tea cup.I have hypoglycemia and hadn't eaten or drank in a while, so I left before I was done. The silver coin is currently in hot H2O2 and looking better.

sunrunner

Reaction score
good going bear ! too coins and not even a detector ! I got to try the kicking around method .

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
LOL, thank you. :)I've found 1 silver half dollar, 1 American silver quarter, this Canadian silver quarter and the American penny, 2 Indian Head Pennies, a few Wheat Pennies, and an early 1960s dime whilst digging in the past two years-- no need for a metal detector. ;)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen