Delva Special BRand Old Scotch Whisky.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

web5253

Reaction score
I have the reprinted label over what I can see of the original label bottle of Rommel's whisky from WWII. This is sealed with all contents intacted. It looks to have a leaded cap seal with Delva stamped on the top. No particulate in whisky and is on great shape. Not sure if these have value because there is very little information on them. If someone knows where I might be able to sell it I would take the advise. Rather not open this and just sell the bottle, just seems to be a waste. thanks Bill

Attachments

• 033026165bb9416db5937aba252f1beb.jpg
    033026165bb9416db5937aba252f1beb.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 109

coreya

Reaction score
Theres alot of info out there, just google Rommels whiskey. these have sold in the 20 + range.
Rommel.jpg
Special Brand ‘Rommel’s Whisky’ (43%, Delva Ltd, bottled +/-1944)
Star0.jpg
Good, I think we’ll need to delve into History a bit here. According to Artfact, this is from ‘a bottle of scotch originally captured by Erwin Rommel's Afrika Korps in North Africa, then recaptured by American soldiers during the invasion of Italy. According to history, during the Afrika Korps' traversing of North Africa a vast wine and spirits cellar was uncovered which included over a million and a half litres of scotch, gin, rum and cognac in casks. After Rommel and his troops took their share, the balance of over a million litres was sent to the Italian port city of Nettuno. On Jan. 22, 1944 the nearby city of Anzio was assaulted by Allied forces, and shortly thereafter the battle-toughened soldiers discovered, much to their glee, over 250,000 gallons of booze still resting in the Nettuno warehouses.The local Delva Distillery stepped in, bottled the liquor in the bottles it now rests in, and applied descriptive fancy labels. Eventually, the bottles were transferred to Linz and sold privately in 1976.’Frankly, I don’t know what to expect. History rather remembers Rommel for his involvement in the plot against Hitler or for the fact that he was highly regarded by the Allies.. But let's try the whisky. Colour: Fanta ;-). Nose: frankly, this is more akin to cologne or to some kind of weird flower liqueur from times gone by. It’s got absolutely nothing of whisky. Plus, it’s very geraniumy. Also strange whiffs of stale pepper and disinfectant. Should I try to drink this? After all, a body called the ‘R.A.A.C.’ did certify that chemical tests ‘showed all to be within standards of purity prescribed for use by the Allied Military personnel’. The problem is that that was in 1944… but never mind, let’s have a few drops for our just cause!
E-Rommel.jpg
Mouth: it’s weak and quite stale, probably more at 30 to 35% vol. than at the original 43%, but the colour was limpid, not opaque at all. Having said that, and even if it does not taste like whisky yet again (more like some slightly stale chartreuse, I’d say), it’s not completely terrible. Notes of ginger, cinchona and various herbs infused in orange liqueur (like triple-sec). Possibly drinkable I must say, and it would probably be even more bearable on ice. Did they have ice in Tobruk, El-Alamein or Tripoli? Finish: pretty long for the strength, gingery and herbal. Feels a tad more like whisky in the aftertaste (bitter grains). Comments: well, I’ve got another sample from another batch, but I’ll try it another day if you don’t mind. According to its taste, this ‘Rommel Whisky’ was probably much ‘arranged’ before it was shipped to the British troops, and didn't see much oak - let’s only hope they didn’t add bromide. Dismiss

glass man

Reaction score
My DAD fought in ANZIO as well at first NORTH AFRICA..not sure if he got any of this stuff..but e did tell me while they were pinned down at ANZIO..him and another guy from GEORGIA also..built a moonshine still..DAD was a STAFF SARGENT and over the MESS tent at times so he could get the sugar needed..his friend built the S. THEY GOT A LOT OF GUYS DRUNK..almost got caught..DAD was called in to be questioned about it,but said he knew nothing..his buddy was called in but he would not snitch either..the matter was dropped..hey they were already on the front lines..prison may have sounded pretty good to them after all they had been through!![:)] DAD was wounded got well got the PURPLE HEART from PATTON while in the hospital..the same one Patton later got in trouble after slapping a soldier.. ...DAD fought all the way to MUNICH GERMANY!

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmtrails