Dentist and the Best Painless Tooth Extractor in the U.S.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
A very good man helped me out by giving me this, along with 8 other local bottles I needed, as a gesture of goodwill after my father and I collectively gave him a super rare milk bottle from Peoria, IL that was only made and used in 1915, after which the company went bankrupt. Poorly listed on eBay, otherwise the 20 bucks we spent would have looked more like 200-300. I liked it, but i like pharmacy bottles more than milks.

This was the one bottle that i wanted more than any other Peoria bottle, simply because it has just about the boldest claim and most interesting embossing present on any bottle, and certainly the best embossing on any Peoria bottle, in my mind. It is a 16 ounce pharmacy style bottle and it is very thin glass. A wonder that it survived. It was not listed in the first local bottle book so it probably isn't that common. Then again, what 16 ounce local pharmacy bottles are ever all that common?

"Dr. F. D. Kelly
Dentist and The Best
Painless Tooth Extractor
In The U.S. Peoria, ILL.
"

4617_862795813130_1937295_49845746_5107296_n.jpg

Also, not too long ago I saw a nice LUG apothecary bottle on ebay. It was in a lot with 2 others and was won at 26 bucks which aint bad. One was a rather eaten-up tincture of sun cholera, which contained morphine, but this one took the cake, despite the crack it has running from the lip down the back. One day I might have to transplant the label onto a different little jar, but it displays splendidly as is next to my Cannabis apothecary and with me being more of a purist than many, i probably wouldn't feel right displaying it. I need to score some opium/morphine and cocaine now to fill out what might become a sweet and satisfying bottle addiction [;)]

Looks real, eh?

9221_920760825780_1937295_52474545_2866028_n.jpg

Plumbata

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, nope, totally real! [:)]

It is a blown bottle, with curved glass cover and a label style typical of apothecary jars/bottles. Up close you can see the discolorations and irregularities that come with age. The other 2 bottles that came in the lot were real too, but with damaged labels.

I'd say that the label is the most valuable part of an apothecary, so i can't complain too much about the crack. My pontiled Tr. Cannab. Ind. apothecary is totally real too; it came from the estate of an old pharmacist and is in awesome shape, and was with other less desirable but equally old bottles. I have no idea how people let it sit until the second day when everything was marked 1/2 off! Can't people read abbreviations anymore? I honestly believe that the "controlled substance' apothecary bottles will gain/retain value far more readily than the normal, more esoteric ones, so they are good things to buy and hold on to if you plan to be alive in 40 or 50 years.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Embossed dentist bottles are extremely rare as far as I can tell.
There were tons of dentist ads and trade cards with claims like that but you dont see it on bottles.
Not sure what would have been in it. His own bottled mouthwwash maybe?

Just Dig it

Reaction score
I really wanna see your Cannabis Indica one...Got any pics of it if not its cool..that little codeine apothecary is bada55..great stuff

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Plumby,

That is a a wonderful Dentist bottle! One doesn't get to say that often. Sounds like you Peoria guys are a mighty neighborly bunch. Now, the question is, what is your next most sought after Peoria bottle?

Speaking from personal experience the art of "Painless Tooth" Extraction has not yet been perfected in other parts of the country. Here's an amusing story from days gone by you might enjoy.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Hmm, I've wondered about the possible contents too. The 16 ounce size is the only one listed, so i guess mouthwash would make some darn good sense. Hadn't thought of that, but what else could it be? That would be a heckuvalot of dentifrice. Perhaps it was full of laudanum, given to the patient beforehand and then sent packing with 16 ounces of it after the pulling. Totally painless tooth extraction indeed! [:D]

Here's some photos for ya Just Dig It. both for 37.50. Posted 2 of em a while ago but no harm in showing them again:

n1937295_41852777_4402.jpg

n1937295_41852778_4646.jpg

n1937295_41852779_4878.jpg

And hey there surfaceone, good to see ya!

I used to live in MD and after moving to Illinois, it was very clear that people here are so much more friendly and personable (Chicagoites not included). People will actually talk to you here in the midwest, wave, and smile when passing on the sidewalk. I don't mind it! Nice Times article, i like how he was arrested because all the dentists in town got angry and had him arrested for lacking "registration" (taking their customers). hehehe.

The next most desired bottle? An unlisted Peoria pontil! As far as the known bottles go, perhaps a W.H. Benton Library Druggist that seems to be a private mold(?), and which was made in greenish teal glass. I think it may be the only colored peoria pharmacy known to have been made. That would be pretty cool to have! More realistically (and a bit less expensive), I want to complete my set of cursive script McDougals Pharmacy bottles. I have the unlisted 32 and 1/2 ouncers and 3 of the more regular sizes, but the 16 ouncer would be pretty tough to find. One of these days!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
1900 article -- could be the origin of rapper teeth[:D]

F57338469BDC402491215CA5D0521614.jpg

Attachments

• F57338469BDC402491215CA5D0521614.jpg
    F57338469BDC402491215CA5D0521614.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 80

Plumbata

Reaction score
That's pretty awesome right there! I wonder what the quality of the diamonds used in the teeth was? I doubt that flawless stones would be used in teeth over 100 years ago, but then, perhaps the market price for diamonds wasn't so artificially inflated back then? I wonder?

I like the comment about gas bills going down every time those with sparkling grills smiled. Good stuff. [:D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
..I had to look up the word "pugilist" before I got the final gag...

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter