Did anyone see this $7000 bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
sew all those hankies together and you have big red one flapping away.

Not sure what you are trying to say here?
You think he's somehow scamming people by buying stuff from them at crazy prices?
Maybe I'm not understanding your point. He pays in US dollars.
If its a scam I hope I get scammed many more times :)

ncbred

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: LtlBtl

Funded by the govt.?? They are the government.

Since way too many of us have a stake in all this being true, step back and...

1.A buyer w/no history of buying bottles is snatching up all/everything
2.Same buyer is oversees and using a us ship address
3. buyer does not leave feedback
4. multiple ids are found to be associated
5. buyer claims to be one of the Royal Family of a wealthy Country
6. person is (in)famous for buying stuff

sew all those hankies together and you have big red one flapping away.

Logically, if you have as much money as is supposedly there, why would you be trolling ebay for items for your museum? Chances are, this real person was very well educated and has a taste for the finer/finest. Very high standards in every aspect of day to day. It is not translating to the purchases that can be seen.

Again, logically, why would you not contact Glassworks or Heckler's and consult with professionals??? People who know the market, quality and have the connections to make it happen. Paying a premium to knowledgeable professionals with experience is money well spent. Trusting ebay sellers to stock your museum????? Wow if that isn't a lofty ambition. An one that seems to me something the bigwigs in Ebayland would be drooling over. Every bottle seller would be getting free listing offers about 10 minutes of getting that breaking wind,/ news.

I hope it is all true. But I would rather have sold a recent bottle for a lot less to one of the underbidders - two locals to whom it would have context, meaning and been something another than #172893 in a catalog some day. maybe.

Glassworks and Heckler's probably already have the rundown on the shiek. Just hope the same doesn't happen to Ebay sellers.

sheiks unpaid debts...

LtlBtl

Reaction score
I hope it isn't a scam. I hate getting charge backs...

It is just such an odd situation, it doesn't make sense. There isn't a whole lot of difficulty in identity theft, creating fake paypal accounts and saying you are someone else. Maybe I have spent too much time drinking from the ebay pool that if I get a bidder who has a story like this one, I am going to sweat it.

Is it public- and I do not mean on the blue pages - that the sheik is actively purchasing American soda bottles on Ebay through intermediates?

If so, please tell him to keep bidding but it will have to be enough so I can buy a Tempur-pedic to help me sleep at night.

While I am usually a big fan of exporting American made products(other than human ones and dollars) to the Middle East, it still is an odd sight watching this. It certainly can help stimulate the economy.
and buy more gas, Memorial Day is coming-prices usually go up.

epackage

Reaction score
You're all going to prison...LOL
Qatari sheikh who spent more than £1billion on his art collection is accused of leaving 'extraordinary trail' of unpaid debt around world's top auction houses
[*]Saud Bin Mohammed Al-Thani, 45, accused of bidding $20m for ancient Greek coins but not paying up
[*]'He bids, wins and then doesn’t pay. He is bidding when he knows he’s not going to be able to pay,' dealers' QC says
[*]Sheikh denies 'obviously wrong' lawsuit brought against him, High Court hears
[ul][/ul]
By Martin Robinson
PUBLISHED:08:51 EST, 1 November 2012| UPDATED:03:57 EST, 2 November 2012
[ul][/ul]
[ul][/ul]
article-2226278-15CD0AE5000005DC-862_306x423.jpg

Lawsuit: Art enthusiast Sheikh Saud Bin Mohammed Al-Thani has been accused of amassing huge debts with auction houses. A sheikh who has spent more than £1billion on his art collection has denied accusations of being a 'serial defaulter' and amassing a pile of unpaid debts with some of the world’s top auction houses.

Saud Bin Mohammed Al-Thani - 'reputedly the world’s largest collector of objets d’art'- is being sued by dealers who say he has dishonoured a pledge to pay $19.7 million for a collection of ancient Greek coins sold at auction in New York in January.
Saud, 45, 'purchased nearly $20 million worth of coins from the Prospero Collection', regarded as the finest assortment of Archaic, Classical and Hellenistic Greek coins ever assembled, the High Court was told.

Although the dealers are still holding the coins they are insisting that the sheikh should be bound by his bid at auction.
The dealers’ QC, Jeffrey Gruder, likened Sheikh Saud to an 'inveterate gambler' who could not stop himself spending millions on objects of his desire before walking away from his obligations.

'He bids, wins and then doesn’t pay. One can only conclude that this is a person acting dishonourably and disreputably. He is bidding when he knows he’s not going to be able to pay,' the barrister claimed.

'Perhaps in a perverse way he enjoys the process of bidding. If one wants to be an amateur psychiatrist, maybe he is like an inveterate gambler who can’t stop himself gambling at Ladbrokes every day.'

More...
[ul][*]British millionaire, 32, to stand trial for Bondi Beach rape on woman, 21
[*]Leading barrister acquitted of murdering his wife whose body was found upside down in a park grave[/ul]
Three dealers - A.H. Baldwin and Sons Ltd, Dmitry Markov, who trades as Dmitry Markov Coins and Medals, and N&M Numismatics LLC - say the sheikh has given no 'explanation or excuse' for his failure to pay, and Mr Gruder said he had left an 'extraordinary trail of unpaid debts'.

The case reached the High Court as their lawyers urged Mr Justice Haddon-Cave to continue an asset freezing injunction imposed on the sheikh, who is a cousin of the ruling emir of Qatar, on October 9.

Mr Gruder made hotly disputed allegations that Sheikh Saud’s total unpaid bill to worldwide auctioneers and art dealers includes £4.3 million owed to Bonhams, around $42 million owed to Sothebys, and various other sums owed to at least five other auction houses and art dealers.

'The fact that he is a member of the Qatar royal family is not relevant,' the QC went on - 'because if this is his conduct it doesn’t matter who he is.'
article-2226278-15CC0A8C000005DC-873_634x415.jpg

Case: The row relates to the sale of the Prospero collection of Greek coins (file picture)[/align]He repeatedly gave A.H. Baldwin the 'run-around' when they tried to pin him down about paying the $19.7 million bill, Mr Gruder alleged, offering to pay part of the outstanding cash in return for acquiring some of the coins.

'There were further meetings asking for the money, but basically nothing was paid,' he added.

article-2226278-00DB38431000044C-890_306x423.jpg

Treasures: The Clive of India Flask (pictured) - a Mughal treasure - was brought back from India by Robert Clive in the 18th century and bought by the sheikh for £3million[/align]The deadlock over payment became so entrenched that the UK ambassador to Qatar - and his opposite number in London - became involved.

'But, despite the best efforts of the two ambassadors, no payment has been forthcoming from the sheikh,' said the QC.
The sheikh rose to prominence after he spent £1billion on art between 1996 and 2004.
In 2000, he splashed out more than £9m on 136 vintage photographs including great works by Man Ray and Alfred Stieglitz from the collection of Hamburg photographer Werner Bokelberg.

Other prominent purchases during this time include a £5m Fabergé egg bought at Christie's in New York in 2002, a £4.6m complete set of Audubon's Birds of America, and a £7.9m Roman marble statue, the Jenkins Venus.

In 2003 he beat London's V&A to purchase the £3m Clive of India flask. 'Sheikh Saud was a passionate art collector with a great eye,' said Georgina Adam, editor-at-large of The Art Newspaper.
In 2005 the Sheikh's spree came to a dramatic end when he was placed under house arrest in Qatar. He allegedly used a London dealer to fake invoices, misleading the Qatari government about the value of the items he was buying. He was sacked from the country's national culture council.

However, within a year he was spotted at auctions again. In 2008, he bought 90 per cent of the lots at a sale of Chinese art at Christie's. Last month, he was spotted at the European Fine Art Fair in Maastricht.
Mr Gruder also voiced concerns that the sheikh might be decamping from his London base now that his creditors have begun to gather, claiming that he left the UK earlier this month 'when the going began to get hot'.
article-2226278-0B1B8D25000005DC-505_634x318.jpg

Prized: A full set of 'The Birds of America' (1827-1838) by John James Audubon (sample of three drawings) was sold to Saud for £4.6m
[/align]
article-2226278-00520C4B00000258-695_634x946.jpg

Beautiful: The sheikh added the Jenkins Venus, a Roman statue circa late 1st to mid 2nd century A.D for £7.9m[/align]But the sheikh’s QC, Stephen Rubin, brushed aside the suggestion that he might be fleeing the jurisdiction. He is currently in Doha - Qatar’s capital - 'where he is a member of the royal family,' said the barrister.
'He hasn’t slunk off in the night to Doha,' added Mr Rubin, noting that it was 'not unusual' for men in the sheikh’s position to 'go back to the middle east when the temperatures begin to drop' in the UK.

However, Mr Gruder claimed the sheikh had left 'almost a trail of destruction' behind him.

'He is a serial defaulter, as we have seen, in terms of auctions,' the QC added.

Denying those accusations on the sheikh’s behalf, Mr Rubin said he had been 'trying to payâ€for the coins for the past nine months.

'There are no doubt timing issues which go to why he cannot pay at the moment, but that’s not a reason to make a freezing order against someone,' urged the barrister, who said the sheikh had been a faithful customer to leading art dealers over the years.

'He is a very well-known and internationally regarded art collector,' said Mr Rubin, who denied that the sheikh had accumulated a tide of unpaid debts.
Mr Rubin also attacked the case against the sheikh as 'obviously wrong', pointing out that the dealers had no basis for enforcing a contract of sale with him, as they had merely 'organised' the sale of coins owned by an 'unidentified' client of A.H. Baldwin and Sons.
article-0-145BF86C000005DC-677_634x423.jpg

The High Court heard that the Sheikh had given people the 'run around' and has tens of millions of debts with famous auction houses[/align]
The QC added: 'The way in which the American complaint is formulated is misconceived, in that it purports to be a claim for enforcement of a ‘contract of sale’, notwithstanding that the claimants were not on any view parties to any such contract with the sheikh.'

There was no evidence before the court on the value of the coins which the sheikh 'allegedly agreed to buy', added the barrister, who said that the dealers still have the coins and are free to find a buyer for them if they wish.

Mr Justice Haddon-Cave has now reserved his judgment in the case.
[/align]

[/align][/align][/align]

AlexD

Reaction score
2.Same buyer is oversees and using a us ship address

He has a warehouse in Doha, too. I've shipped to it before until I guess paying $100 shipping per bottle, he changed to a US address.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Compared to the stuff Jim posted, low end bottles is correct. As long as a person gets paid, I dont see what the fuss is all about. Everybody who has a coke or pepsi bottle should get in on this and hope he pays them before it all goes south, and the worthless bottles become worthless again...........p.s dont sell your Picassos to him[:D][:D][:D]

JohnN

Reaction score
I wonder if he would be interested in any beat up 40's Coke bottles. I think I might put one up with a $100 BIN. If he buys it, I get $100. If I get scammed, I'm out basically nothing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles