Digging at the Whitall Tatum factory?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Excellent stuff people.

Joe thanks for the pic, do you have access to a picture of the back side of the Coventry mold?

I've got a little theory going, hopefully some of you can flesh it out.

The brass/bronze/bell-metal mold HAD to have been cast. It would make sense if the glassworks contracted with a foundry to create not just the raw mold, but also the more intensive section which creates the embossing. Bell-makers/founders were very experienced with mirroring text and it is likely that they took care of this issue for the glassworks before the days of slug-plates.

Now, in the 1st quarter of the 19th century, what entity local to Coventry, CT would have the ability to cast a suitable mold? I'm thinking that the bronze used in bells would possess a melting point far lower than ideal, since it was upwards of 22% tin. In my youth I took a blowtorch to an ancient roman coin (trying to remove crust), and was perplexed when silvery beads of molten tin started issuing forth from microscopic pores in the coin. Lacking analytical data regarding the proportions of the ingredients used, I will just assume that actual bell-metal with high-tin would be avoided, as potential beads of molten tin flowing inside a bottle mold would be less than ideal.

The data I desperately desire is an analysis of the metals used in early American brass/bronze cookware which was intended to be used at high temperatures. The bottle molds must have been made from a blend understood to withstand higher temperatures. We all have seen antique cast brass pots, pans, etc., but I have no knowledge of early American cookware foundries. Do any of you know about early eastern cast cookware? I'd wager that a cookware foundry created these molds, and a table of the alloy formulas used in the production of high-temp cookware back then would likely include the formula used for the creation of the mold. Do any of you have access to such data?

Now, regarding the "warming" of the molds and the ideas postulated for and against this idea , I think that the properties of heat transfer were known to the glassworkers, and with their desire to be efficient and productive, the mold would not likely have been reheated between use, though I don't see why it wouldn't be heated before beginning production for the day, which is what I thought Chris was getting at.

I want a picture of the backside in order to support or discard this next postulation; the thin-walled molds were likely housed within a larger insulated shell, perhaps stuffed with asbestos or filled with porous plaster of paris with a recess for the molds. This ability to maintain a reasonable running temperature would avoid the effects of super-cooling and the "locking-in" of fatal zones of stress in the glass; as indicated by Jeff. Since copper and its alloys are superior conductors of heat, insulation of some sort would be expected. The unusual posts and sockets on the rim of the mold look like they were intended to be joined with the other half more "directly" (versus pivoting in a sharp arc on a hinge attached to the 2 halves of the mold proper, if that explanation makes sense), and this would also support the idea that the mold was insulated somehow.

Essentially, if we can hone-in on the composition of the mold we can better postulate how it was heated, insulated, used, etc. More pictures of molds are in order.

baltbottles

Reaction score
It looks like some research on metallurgy and foundry process may be in order. I will check the Sun paper and see if I can find anything about molds and brass foundries.

I'm sure someone could email corning and ask for pictures of the mold from all angles.

I had never thought about the idea of enclosing the mold in an insulating hinged shell. This is a great idea and could be the solution to the problem with Mark's flask mold.

Photos of his mold would also be helpful to determine if his mold had used such a shell.

Chris

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
the melting point of simple high tin bronze seems uncomfortably close to the temperature of the glass coming out of the pot.
I'm not sure how much the gather cools down before it is blown. Probably not too much or they would have trouble filling embossing.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
If someone wants to do some research a good source is the documents for Charles Yockel who was a mold maker by trade in Philada. Some of the docs sound interesting (like ones about molds returned because of problems)
http://findingaid.winterthur.org/html/HTML_Finding_Aids/COL0481.htm

baltbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

the melting point of simple high tin bronze seems uncomfortably close to the temperature of the glass coming out of the pot.
I'm not sure how much the gather cools down before it is blown. Probably not too much or they would have trouble filling embossing.

I don't think that is a problem because the glass may be at a working temperature of 2100F when blown but the mold may be at 700F the amount of heat energy transferred from the gather of glass to the mold still isn't enough to bring the mold to a point of melting. However if the process of blowing the bottles is fast enough to allow a heat build up the mold could quite possibly fail and melt.

So perhaps these molds needed to be cooled off through out the day this could have been done simply by dowsing it with water. Again perhaps this rapid cooling of the mold is what occasionally caused molds to crack.

There is way too much conjecture with this because we don't know how fast a bottle was made how many were made in a day at what temperature the mold was kept. Did they have to keep warming the mold due to cooling between each bottle blown or was the process fast enough to allow a heat build up possibly melting the mold. Causing the need for cooling throughout the day?

A chemical analysis of the corning mold would go along way with helping this discussion. With a known melting point of an alloy experiments could be done to calculate heat lost or transfer from the blowing process.

Assuming a bottle a minute was blown I think a heat build up may well have been a problem with these early molds. Perhaps that is why later molds were cast iron and have a much heavier wall thickness and mass of metal. This would help withstand repeated heat build up and cooling throughout a day of blowing.

Chris

kungfufighter

Reaction score
George Foster (glassblower at the Granite Glass Company, Stoddard, NH) reported making 500 plus quart wines a DAY in his diary. This info is included in the Granite Glass Co. sketch in American Bottles, Flasks and their Ancestry.

Will try to get a photo of Mark's mold...

surfaceone

Reaction score
For those interested in learning Glass blowing techniques, some classes:

There are glass blowing classes offered in Oakland @ The Crucible.

I know nothing of the course work or contents, beyond what is available at these sites.

Chicago Glassblowing -- @ Chicago Hot Glass.

Boston Glassblowing Classes -- @ Diablo Glass School.

Dearborn Glass Academy sampler class.

In Virginia, @ Oldway Art Center, Sperryville.

MIT students & Community.

glassblowing-ken4.jpg

RedGinger

Reaction score
I wonder if the sunglasses are to protect their eyes from of course, any flying pieces, but also from the light? Where is the Whitall Tatum factory? Maybe I should know, but I don't know much about it. I'm wondering where in NY the Lockport Glassworks was located.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Red Ginger The Whitall Tatum factory was in New Jersey near Philadelphia PA. Lockport is a town up near the Erie Canal and Syracuse. It was a very successful glass house that made some neat green glass bottles. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I am working on this review thread. When I was with Thatchers I worked with most all of the foundries that made mold castings. These included: Kelly Foundry Elkins, West Virginia.
Binney Foudry where they cast
Binney’s DV bronze
Binney’s 51 C iron
Overmyer Mold Company, Muncie Indiana where they made Mold iron, a bronze and other metal castings for the glass industry.

I haven’t had time to work on my comments to review the first part of this thread. Sorry. RED Matthews

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter