Digging at the Whitall Tatum factory?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
I found Joe's thread, here are a few relevant images (thanks Joe!):

85D4E5971D114243872C07B31DECA919.jpg

Here is a scaled-down model of a glass-works that Joe posted. Looks more TOC-ish and the model molds look like later cast iron ones, but I don't see why similar devices couldn't have been used with interchangeable brass molds in earlier years.

0E2D0294426A4D2C930229893D62126F.jpg

Another idea is that the molds (molds plus shell) may have been hinged along the bottom instead of the sides. I certainly don't have any examples to study, but if any of you have some Lafayettes or other early flasks, please check the thickness of the seam which goes across the bottom and up the sides. If it doesn't vary much in thickness, as with later blown bottles where the seam is thin on one side (hinge side) and thicker on the opposing side, then we might assume that the molds were used/operated in a different manner.

I forget the correct terminology, but Copper alloys have a great "capacity" for heat energy, and unless I'm mistaken the capacity is far greater than the considerably less-dense glass. This, combined with the efficiency of the heat-transfer or dissipation of the alloy I would imagine that the entire mold would need to approach very near its melting point before it would fail. Perhaps someone with a background in physics can determine the heat capacity of a unit of copper(brass) versus the energy in a unit of molten glass, and also the energy transferred at the glass transition temperature between molten and solid states (assuming there is a large amount of energy transferred at that stage, as in the transition of ice at 32 degrees to water at 32 degrees).

Perhaps the brass/bronze used would be similar in composition to alloyed naval cannons? To draw this into an analogy to address Chris' points, the gunners operating a cannon knew to let it rest to avoid overheating, and we've heard of machine-gunners urinating on their weapons to prevent or delay overheating. Just as the cannon crew knew the proper interval between shots necessary to prevent overheating and failure, I'd imagine that the glassworkers adhered to some sort of usage/rest system, or if there was a huge order, could have used water to cool the molds. Jeff's useful tidbit shows that 500+ quart bottles per day was the norm, and for a considerably smaller bottle like the Lafayette the number may be higher.

If we assume 600 bottles per day, and a 12 hour workday, then that would be 2 minutes per bottle. If the mold was allowed a minute between removal of the previous bottle and introduction of a fresh gather then I'd bet the mold would be able to cool quite sufficiently, perhaps even with an interval of 20 or 30 seconds.

If you look at the base of the Coventry mold you can see that it is rectangular in profile. Perhaps this was exposed on the bottom of the hypothetical shell and operated as a heat-sink, since the base is where the majority of the heat-transfer from glass to metal would occur, as this is generally where the thickest part of the bottle is.

We really need some good shots of the superficially less interesting parts of the mold.

Plumbata

Reaction score
If we assume 600 bottles per day, and a 12 hour workday, then that would be 2 minutes per bottle. If the mold was allowed a minute between removal of the previous bottle and introduction of a fresh gather then I'd bet the mold would be able to cool quite sufficiently, perhaps even with an interval of 20 or 30 seconds.

Silly me. It would be 50 bottles/hour, making it 1 minute and 12 seconds per full cycle. I still think this is more than enough time to allow for mold resting.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello RED,

Hope you're feeling about 110 percent. I think Lockport may have made some other colors besides the celebrated Lockport Green. See Here.

020.13.jpg
020.29.jpg

Plumbata

Reaction score
Nice info Red, thanks! It is interesting to know that even relatively recently Bronze (a special kind I guess?) was used in the glass industry. If you can dig up more info, or figure out the composition of the alloys, it would be much appreciated.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well here is some more thoughts I need to throw in. I think I had mentioned before that I made some molds for a test on an eight section IS glass machine making a wine bottle. There was a mold of Binney's DV bronze, one of Binney's 51C iron, one made on Kelley #4 mold iron, one made of Nodular iron, one made of Overmyer's bronze and I would have to get into old notes to find the other metals. The machine was run at various speeds to get good bottles from each metal. The bottles were saved and evaluated for glass appearance and surface conditions. We made quite a process study out of it. I had the glass bottom plates marked so we could identify the metal relative to the bottles.

I made a ketchup bottle mold with an electro formed nickel and copper shell of a cavity. We made glass but the cost was excessive. We also made an mold for the Seagram's Ancient Age whiskey bottle that had cave mans petrological designs and a knurled cavity in between them, with no machining in the cavity, because the nickel and copper electroformed cavity shell was supported in an outer iron mold shell. I still have one half of the mold in my collection. I need to get a picture of it for you to see.

I got to do a lot of experiments with molds having aluminum injected in the iron cavities, and Malcomized iron cavities.
I had a lot of open studies going on to find improvements.

I am getting a kick out of everyone's participation in this thread. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Yes I know Lockport made other colors of glass. They also ran a well controlled clean operation because their glass was always good looking stuff.

I have formulas for most of the mold alloys that were made while worked in the glass mold shop. I can dig them out and list some of them. .

RED Matthews

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Joe thanks for the pic, do you have access to a picture of the back side of the Coventry mold?

I've got a little theory going, hopefully some of you can flesh it out.

No pics from the rear side Steven....I'd have liked to examine the mold in more detail, but the displays and atmosphere at Corning glass are such that I feel that it would have been seriously frowned upon for me to attempt to pick it up and turn it over Also a majority of the displays were behind glass, (what else) [;)] I don't remember if the mold was or not.....Maybe if the right person were to ask the right person, they'd allow it...Red has some pretty extensive knowledge of metallurgy,and bottle molds,.... perhaps not as far back as to the dates in question here though....

7B756E7FF80E45678C2D4B2447ADEC91.jpg

Attachments

• 7B756E7FF80E45678C2D4B2447ADEC91.jpg
    7B756E7FF80E45678C2D4B2447ADEC91.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 59

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

Red has some pretty extensive knowledge of metallurgy,and bottle molds,.... perhaps not as far back as to the dates in question here though....

Geez, he ain't that old! [8D]

baltbottles

Reaction score
So we have a team of 3 people producing a bottle about every minute. I would think the time from when the gather is inserted into the mold and inflated would not be very long probably 10-15 seconds at most. I do agree that with these thin brass molds they may very well had enough time to air cool between blowing to keep from melting. But was this too much time for them to stay suffenctly warm? Or perhaps a bottle a minute to a minute and a half is the magic number allowing enough heat transfer to keep the mold warm without overheating it...

If that is the case and considering a working batch temperature of 2100F And once we know the properties of some brass alloys we might be able to work out a probable operating temperature of a mold in use. I have a feeling that a good working temperature is around 600-700F. Another problem with a mold that is too hot is the glass may stick to its surface. And the bottle won't release properly. Which could seriously damage the mold. I have seen blow pipes with glass literally bonded to their tip. I assume this is due to being exposed to the extreme heat of the furnace. Was some form of release agent used to help prevent bottles from sticking to the mold? Perhaps powdered graphite?

Chris

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter