digging etiquettte

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandytoga

Reaction score
I'm a newbie digger. I just found a farm dump in my backyard and have dug up a few bottles and a whole bunch of shards and rusty metal things. Soon after I discovered the stuff in my yard, I stumbled across a HUGE old dump in the woods near my house (not on my property). Someone has been digging in there, but only at the front corner of the lot. I can see old junk and bottles sitting on top of leaves in the woods for about a 1/2 acre past where the dug up hole is. I'm wondering if it's rude to dig in another spot on that lot, or if the original digger has some unspoken claim on it. To my best knowledge, the property is owned by the church or cemetery that it's bordering; there are no other residences bordering. Thanks for any advice.

runvs56

Reaction score
I would contact the church or cemetary and get permission.. See if they have givin anyone else permission to dig.. if they have not then I would dig without worries. the other digger would clearly be trespassing.

tigue710

Reaction score
sandytoga! lol

Bottle diggers are very superstitious, and put ALOT of work into finding there dumps.... who ever is digging there will probably be unhappy that you have found their spot but at the same time wont mind if you dig as long as you respect their area. They may not give you the same respect which is unfourtunete, but they might also welcome you in to dig, you never know till you meet them. Unless they have a cut a deal with the owners they cant say anything about you digging there, but you should always respect others areas, its thier intuition that picked that spot and if you dig there your almost stealing from them in many diggers minds. So unless the hole is over 6 months old and no longer active stay away from thier area, pick your own spot to dig in the dump.

Always fill in your holes and burry your broken glass.
Land owners wont mind unless you make a mess and crater the area, and if you find newer trash about and dispose of it they might even encourage your digging!

one more tip, go deep! The older stuff is the deepest...

good luck

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter