digging vs finding?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: logueb

I prefer to dig my bottles.  Although I have bought many from Flea Markets, Antique shops, etc.  There's  just something special about a bottle that you pull out of the ground yourself.  I just can't get that from a bought or swapped bottle.  Even though they become a part of the collection, it's just not the same somehow.  To me, the digging is the part of the hobby that I enjoy most.  The buying, for me, is more like an investment.  But then just my opinion.
ditto!

Penn Digger

Reaction score
My thoughts on this are that there are digger/collectors and then just straight collectors or a little of both. Many, not all, of us are a little bit of both. Sure it is nice to dig a rare local, but if one you have never even dug a shard of shows up on the bay cheap....whatta ya goin to do? You have hundreds of hours of diggin in and never seen a shard of a bottle that you can grab for $10? If you are seeking a complete collection or run of a bottle...

PD

lexdigger

Reaction score
This is a very circumstantial question. Obviously if you are out digging and you DIG a bottle that you have been wanting all along... the condition is irrelevant as long as it's in One piece. On the other hand, there is NO DIGGER who is gonna walk past a KILLER bottle sitting on a table for 2 bucks at a flea market. Could you imagine if you walked up on a box of old dirty bottles that said 2 dollars each and it was ALL historical flasks and bitters. There is NO ONE here who wouldn't Snatch the whole box up and take off Running to the car with it!!! :)

There is a guy here who digs and sets up at the flea market to sell every weekend. Digs on Sat and sells on Sunday. You would not Believe some of the things people have brought him over the years and the Deals he has gotten. One specific "box" I remember had at LEAST 50,000 dollars worth of stuff in it and I think he gave about a hundred bucks for the whole Lot. Go figure??? LOL

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson