digging wells

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rwcw1040

Reaction score
Can anyone give me any advice on digging old farm wells? Is it worth the time? What are the dangers? Gas? Thanks

THE BADGER

Reaction score
HEY RANDELL,I HAVE MESSED AROUND A LITTLE WITH THE FARM WELLS AND HAVE NEVER GOTTEN ANYTHING FROM THEM NOT SAYING YOU COULDNT BUT THEY TEND TO BE TIGHT AND HARD TO MANUEVER IN. AS FAR AS GAS I NEVER RAN INTO THAT. GOOD LUCK IF YOU DECIDE TO TACKLE IT. THE BADGER

Ratzilla

Reaction score
I've found old farm wells to be just like privies - some have had really nice stuff in them, and some just plain suck. I've dug ones that had nothing but ash or sloppy wet sand, but also dug ones that were good old trash all the way down. No more dangerous than a privy of the same depth, a lot of them tend to wet towards the bottom, but that's usually where the bottles are.

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey Randell
Wells tend not to give to much up but thats not to say that they never produce.The thing is farm wells tend to be used much longer than city wells or cisterns and are less likely to have trash in them . Now that said, Has the well been filled to the top if so theres a better chance I belive you'll find something .If not less likely .If you guys need any help give me call. Oh I got a few permissions the other day to dig in a couple of places that might pan out well.Did you guys do any good the last time I saw you .The spot you went to was were a school stood were President Grant went to school ya know .Was dug pretty hard there to was'nt it .Any way give me shout I take you guy to were I found that pottery dump .
bill

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28