"Dilly Beans"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
Lobey:

Don't go by the Body Mass Index (BMI). Your doctor likely does. According to my height I'm 55 pounds overweight. My V.A. doctor said "well, there's something wrong with this calculation" as I am far from fat. His answer: BMI addresses couch potatoes and does not take into account much denser muscle mass. Even if you're over 40 years-old and have a "small "paunch" in the midsection it's all right -- as long as you can bench press 400 pounds repeatedly.

capsoda

Reaction score
Raw fish and steamed clams.......I don't think so. I have been a fisherman all my life, being born on the Gulf of Mexico. Worked the tuna boats as a baiter when I was 16. I was too small to haul tuna. Worked the long liners for snapper/grouper. Did the sport fishing thing back when there were fish to be caught. That was before the government got involved. Worked the local rivers for bream/bass and channel cats. Fished for trout and salmon in Colorado and up the west coast. Shrimped, chased scallops, clammed, oystered and hunted mussels. Used cast nets, gill nets, trawl nets and hand lines on the ice.

I have seen how the catch of the day is handled and would not eat any of it raw because it is a good way to catch something that you can't spell and will never go away. I know, I know, it is the "IN Thing" just like ultra beer but it still aint safe. Fry it, broil it, boil it, bake it, grill it or cook it over an open fire. It is far better when you bring out the flavor by cooking than eating something raw that tastes like metal and sauce.

Gimme a plate of grilled Waho and I could probably enjoy some dilly beans and hush puppies.

Cords right about the BMI. If you are in good shape and still weigh to much tell them you want to try water displacement. Don't remember the exact name of it but it is a much better guide for healthy folk than the BMI. Me I spend weeks at a time unable to do anything so there is not much hope of getting my weight under control but I try to eat right and get a little exercise.

RedGinger

Reaction score
When I was able to get sushi, I only ate it at reputable restaurants. They use fish that is flash frozen which kills whatever is in there. Also, don't eat fresh water fish raw. I also ate a lot of things like shrimp tempura roll which is cooked, smoked salmon roll, and vegetable rolls. I can't go without the spicy tuna roll. Ever eaten steak tar tar? Same thing.
Woody, can I join the waiting list??
Jamie, I love raw oysters too! A little lemon and cocktail sauce and they're so good! Sometimes you even find a pearl. I got a misshapen one once. In MD, they have a great restaurant which serves oyster shots, PBR with the oyster and cocktail sauce. I have to go find something to eat now! LOL

glass man

Reaction score
IN THE EARLY SIXTIES I CAUGHT A BREAM AND ATE SOME OF IT RAW JUST TO FLIP MY COUSINS OUT. GUESS IT WAS EARLY SOUTHERN SUSHI! " I ATE SUSHI,WHEN SUSHI WASN'T COOL".

capsoda

Reaction score
Had to eat a few thing raw in Air Force Survival School but anything meat I eat is cooked. I did watch a bunch of nuts eat raw hamburger meat in a race to celibrate Alfard Packer Day. I like my meat dead. I figure that there are enough things that can kill you in cooked meat so why take chances.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Cuz it tastes good, that's why. These days, if I eat raw hamburger I try to remember to drink apple cider vinegar before or after - helps kill bad stuff. I've never gotten sick from it yet, knock on wood.

sloughduck

Reaction score
Used to do a lot of High Sierra (not below 8,000 feet El.) back packing.We would do a day or 2 of living off what we could find. Fireweed(tastes like asparagus)wild onions,raw trout caught by hand and Pine Sawyer Grubs, the grubs are about 1 1/2 + long ,big as your pinky finger, black head and a creme color body.They live in sugar pines( pine nuts come from sugar pines) anyway ya roast them in a dry skillet until toasty brown.They are great,taste just line pine nuts.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks