Dont want trouble with girlfriend/wife HELP

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hey all:

Thanks for all input/info in previous posts. Here is the next one.

I was asking around the school I work at, for any places people think I could dig. A co-worker told me of this old dump she used to go to as a kid and that there might be some stuff there.

Being that its winter and most of everything is snow covered I thought I would do alittle RECON to see what might be there. To my delight there were hundreds if not thousands of bottles. Of course many broken (even breaking under my feet as I walked) but yet many still intact.

I have looked over this site, ebay, and in books in the previous months to see whats what in bottle collecting. This area seems to be garbage from the 1920's and above. I was able to get 5 frenches 1 vicks 3 sauce jars 2 masons in about half hour of pickin.

QUESTION: I suspect that I'll get tons and tons of bottles but none worth alot (maybe $5 - $10). What do I do with all of these bottles?

Dont want to get kicked out of the house,
Madpaddla

Ay73587.jpg

Attachments

• Ay73587.jpg
    Ay73587.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 81

slimdigger

Reaction score
Do some research or buy yourself a few books. Most of the post 1930's bottles do not have much if any value. If you just brought home the good stuff it might be easier on the other half.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Ben, Dig down under the new stuff in a couple different places and you might find some really old stuff and don't forget to sift.[:)]

The stuff you don't want sell on Ebay, your own web page or at a flea market.[:)]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Keep looking , even though most 1930 bottles dont have much value there is always the chance to find older (holdover) stuff. People back then cleaned out thier attics basements every so often just like us. Just think of all that 1970s crap you threw out last week. If this was the 1930s it would be 1900s crap.

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yeah, most of that stuff is going to be valueless (for the most part). If you plan on surface hunting it, I'd do some research for sure!!! You'll ended up bringing home a bunch of junk that you wouldn't even be able to Give away, more less sell. You're best bet is going to be to clear you off a spot and start digging!!! The older stuff is actually worth a little, and every now and then you might find a good one!!! If there are 1920's and 30's laying on the surface, you may have to dig down 5 or 6 feet to get to the good stuff??? Good luck, be carefull, and have fun!!! Chris Capley

lexdigger

Reaction score
P.S. Do you have a cellar or garage? That's where I keep all the common stuff I haven't got to washing yet. Might be a good place for you to "hide" some??? LOL! Chris Capley

madpaddla

Reaction score
To all:

Thanks to Slimdigger, Capsoda, and Gunther.

Really excited here. I was thinking about spending about a solid week of vacation searching for bottles there. Even if I get .50 cents for a 1920 frenches its still good? If I get thousands of 1920's bottles and sell in bulk or by piece, I will let all know. And give many away to the young kids to give them a positive experience with bottle collecting.

Question: Can anyone give me an estamite of value on 1920 local beverage bottles from CT,RI and Mass? I saw many of different colors (green, aqua).

Madpaddla

And thank- you all

madpaddla

Reaction score
Thanks Lex:

The girlfriend found the stuff in basement. But you are exactly right about being careful and not taking home the trash.

Honestly all, I will be at the New England Bottle Show and I'll take a ton of pics for those not able to attend.

And I'll bring a UHAUL of 1920's mustard jars as a momento. I might run into a few thousand. HAHA can't wait to see everyone.

How can a hobby have such nice people.

Ben

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Ben,

Those Frenches jars are kinda hard to find in some parts and keep an eye open for the glass incerts for them. They have Frenches on them or they are blank and kind a domed.

madpaddla

Reaction score
Capsoda:

Thanks. What do those inserts look like? I am on about my 10th frenches and haven't come accross those inserts. If I find more than 1 ill send it to ya for the help.

Ben

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles