Downeast Bottle Diving

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

adshepard

Reaction score
Just returned from a ten day scuba diving trip to Downeast Maine and was able to find a number of nice bottles. The weather was not always great so I did not get to dive everyday but there were some beautiful days too. Here are the three of the better bottles I found.

4B482F88715246E3BCCA1A2B3592350A.jpg

The first is a very heavy and thick flask with a nice aqua tint. The second is a clear case gin which is stamped E. Kliden. This is my second clear case gin. The third is black glass with a very messy pontil and a bit of a lopsided neck. Pulled a number of other bottles that I'll post later along with different views of these three.

On one of the non-dive days my daughter and I hit a nearby mudflat digging for bottles. We had heard of a number of bottles being pulled from a certain area and with nothing better to do decided to give it a go on a rainy day. We got skunked and very muddy but did find the bottom third of a Warner's, half of a Dr. True's and half of another clear case gin. The mud is more like clay than mud. It is easy to dig but the clay stay together so well that you could actually have a bottle in the middle of the shovel full and not know it. Time digging on the flats is limited to about two hours or so due to the extreme tides.

On my final dive yesterday I found a Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup but more intertesting was a rather large non-bottle item I came upon. I was in only 20 feet of water which is normally shallower than I search but i needed a new area to find treasure. I spotted a curved piece of iron in the sand and thought nothing of it at first. I putzed around a bit and found the Mrs. Winslow's then it hit me I knew what the piece of iron was. I went back to it and dug and fanned around it. The item was a very old anchor the size of a queen bed. It's one of those anchors that would have had a wooden cross piece at the top. The thing is heavy as sin. I can't think of anyway to retrieve it without a boat with a good winch. I might be able to float it with lots of lift bags but after that i would have no way of getting it in to my truck. I will likely contact the local museum to see if they are interested in it.

Headed back next week for another two weeks of diving! [:D]

Alan

riverdiver

Reaction score
Awesome finds Alan, I love the lopsided black glass bottle and I am looking forward to more pics of the heavy flask!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Alan,
Sounds like some adventurous dives there. Let us know what happens with that anchor (assuming you can find it again).

rockbot

Reaction score
Thats an unusually tall and slender case gin. Interesting. Love the anchor story.

Rocky

adshepard

Reaction score
Here is a photo of the stamp on the case gin.

2217C4CA86BF448AB38150778D7EB358.jpg

I always enjoy finding case gins!

As for finding the anchor again that should be no problem. I marked the area with a series of bottles turned upside down in the sand and mud. It may take me a few minutes to home in on it but a zig-zag search pattern will turn it up.

Alan

adshepard

Reaction score
Here is the Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup -

9615CA064E1941A0B1A84D3B157CDB40.jpg

Nothing like a bit of narcotics to soothe the tears of a teething child.

Alan

adshepard

Reaction score
Two closer shots of the flask -

9E7ED9664FE645E488ED68251D010274.jpg

861B6ECE2D5642F986CFBAE393720029.jpg

The walls of the flask are very thick as you can see from the shot of the base. The top is a bit sloppy.

Alan

adshepard

Reaction score
One last photo for now -

D380B5C8C4494782AF6E9E239A21A8C8.jpg

Nice aqua colored jar found near the anchor.

Alan

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen