Dr. Baker`s Grape Cure

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

edndlm

Reaction score
I agree with Matt as to value of the bottle with label & contents & box (LCB) . If it was an "embossed cure" then it would be 5 to 10 times that amount ! I've probably seen 8 or 10 for sale in similar condition over the years but don't remember seeing the wood box before . A lot of times bottles with LCB go for huge $ at Terry McMurray's Auctions which specialize in drugstore items & LCB bottles .

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Its funny I had one of those grape cures that had a ratty label. I tried to sell it for a while and couldnt get any interest. I finally ended up removing the label. It was a really nice looking light amber and it sold quickly. Not something I normally do[;)]
Just shows a label is sometimes more of a detraction than an enhancement.

A3CEB0D5F3024A16A827740220AA6467.jpg

Attachments

• A3CEB0D5F3024A16A827740220AA6467.jpg
    A3CEB0D5F3024A16A827740220AA6467.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 69

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
I`m sure that I`ve had and probably dug one or two of the bottles, but never knew what the B was for. Seeing that it is from CT makes it a little bit nicer for me since I like CT bottles, now if it was only 30 years older it would probably be made here too[8|], I`ll have to look for that one next, if they were even in business back then. I`ll have to do some research on it, Meriden is only about a 45 minute drive for me.
I agree that I never knew grapes could come down with so many afflictions, there`s nothing worse than having a bunch of grapes and they start sneezing at you! [:D]
Gunther, I`ve had a couple bottles like that in the past where the label is so ratty that it takes away from the bottle, esp. if it has some nice color. It`s the same old discussion with wicker covered demijohns where the wicker isn`t quite as nice as it could be and you don`t know what could be underneath it.
I know I overpaid for it, but it is still a nice piece of history. It`s not a Bixby but it`s still nice!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I happened on a very good history of Kelsey and his Grape Cure.
http://users.bestweb.net/~bpress/res/art/kelsey1.html

It has some interewsting tidbits in it.
The bottle mold was done by Whittall Tatum, not surprising.
When he retired there was apparently a huge stock of bottles. They used them up to 1960 for ink reducer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete