Dr Stoever's Bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Picked this bitters up a while back and have found very little info on it. I guess it's listed as rare in Ring & Ham, which is nice I guess. I love the embossing on it, especially the slugged PHILADELPHIA. There's a similar one listed as very rare embossed LANCASTER, but I like the slug myself. Here's the only info I've found online:

Wm. M. Huey and Amos H. Christ were Liquor Wholesalers and Manufacturers of Rye, Whiskey and Bitters. Between the years of 1875 thur 1884 they were located at 121 n. 3rd St. in Philadelphia, PA. They would relocated their company in 1885 to 1207-1209 Market St. They would stay at this location till 1909 then relocating again in 1910 to Arch St. they would stay at this location till prohibition would put the company out of business in 1918. The embossing on the bottle reads DR. STOEVER’S / BITTERS // ESTABLISHED 1837 // KRYDER & CO. / PHILADELPHIA.

The label reads . The Old Standard 1837 Dr. Stoever’s Celebrated Tonic Herb Bitters Kryder & Co. Sole Proprietor’s 121 n 3rd St. Philadelphia. There is a identical bottle with Lancastor instead of Philadelphia which is extremely rare. Just a speculation that this my be where Kryder & Co. was and then sold to Huey & Christ.

The company would used the brand names of Bailey’s Whiskey’ Bailey’s Pure Rye and Dr. Stoever’s Tonic Herb Bitters.

There's also one with a partial label at antiquebottles.com.

016.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

blade

Reaction score
Was a Lancaster, Pa. bottle before it became a Philly bottle. The Lancaster bottle is nice but I would not consider it to be very rare.
Chris

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology