Dr. Wister's error???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

akshorey

Reaction score
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving. Been here for a while and this is my first posting. Really need a hand on this one. Got this Dr. Wister's I.B. OP bottle a few years ago and have never seen another one like it. So was wondering if anyone here has seen one before? Is this a true error bottle or just a repo? If real how rare is it? and can you place a best guess value on it. Reason I need a value is I have been unemployed for a year now and the UEC checks are stopping and need to know if this is a bottle to live on or stick it back in the glass case? Thanks a million!!! Also have another question about another Wistar's which i will put into another post.

EBD4B3584F9C42CBB9CB591CD717E628.jpg

Attachments

• EBD4B3584F9C42CBB9CB591CD717E628.jpg
    EBD4B3584F9C42CBB9CB591CD717E628.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 67

GuntherHess

Reaction score
its definately an original bottle.
Appears to be a spelling error , something seen quite a bit in early bottles.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
So do you think this is a common error bottle or a a rare error bottle?

I doubt its common. I have seen a couple of them so there are others out there. Pobably makes it a little more desirable but errors on bottles dont tend to be given the high regard that errors on coins or stamps have. Quality control wasnt a big part of early glass production for commodity bottles.

Personally speaking, I like it.[;)]

akshorey

Reaction score
Cool, Well I paid a buck for it so guess the standard selling price of 40 to 50 bucks will do nicely, just hate to sell it, for some reason it screams to me! Maybe I'll keep just one OP! Thanks for everything Jeff

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Caspar Wistar the glass maker and founder of the United Glass Company (Wistarburgh)(Dr.Wister the medicine mans) Great Great Great uncle came to America in 1717 with his last name being spelled Wüster with the German Umlaut on the letter U.By the year 1722 and beginning on Dec 18th he signs his name as Wistar in the English language from this point forward in letters and other documents which are archived in various collections.Caspars brother Johann arrived in America at a port in Philadelphia in 1727.In less then a years time he changed his last name from Wüster to Wister different then his older brother Caspar.Here is an interesting fact the first Dr. Caspar Wistar was Richard Wistars son Richard inherited the Wistarburgh glassworks from his father Caspar.The Dr. Wister seen on your bottle was the great great great nephew of Caspar the glass maker he was also the great great great Grand son of John Wister Caspars brother.So amidst in all of the confusion of the phonetic spelling of the name Wüster in English to Wistar and Wister it is easy to see how this spelling could arrive on your bottle.By the way its a great looking bottle.I would keep it as it is a lot rarer then the Wistar spelling on most of the similar bottles.

akshorey

Reaction score
Thanks Steve for the great info, For the time being she is back in the display case, hope I can leave it there for years to come.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson