Drinking glasses

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlediger

Reaction score
Hi everyone, here are a few drinking glasses I pulled out of the ground. As you can see I cleaned them up and gave them a nice tumble. The other picture shows what the mug based one looked like before a tumble. I have about a dozen clear mug based glasses that I have dug over the years in different sizes and slight variation in designed. The one on the right is a first for me, it looks like a fountain drink glass or an ice cream float glass.

I drink out of these things all the time! Even though they were covered in hundreds of gallons of poop! Its really cool to think about who might have been drinking from these things 130 + years ago.

I know rick has a bottle he drinks out of, I believe a seitz squat. Are there any others who go on the wild side and drink from their privy or dump found items.

I would love to put together a nice set of the mug based glasses in different colors. I know Pittsburgh glass houses made some very fine pieces but I have yet to find any in any other colors. Do any of you have any in your collection? I would love to see some pictures!

Ryan

1FFCC63E5E6148C5913A244A057C9F35.jpg

Attachments

• 1FFCC63E5E6148C5913A244A057C9F35.jpg
    1FFCC63E5E6148C5913A244A057C9F35.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 56

bottlediger

Reaction score
tumbled and non tumbled tumblers

Ryan

97F247CC94A44BC485F7AF8D303113C8.jpg

Attachments

• 97F247CC94A44BC485F7AF8D303113C8.jpg
    97F247CC94A44BC485F7AF8D303113C8.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 51

beendiggin

Reaction score
I dug a "T D" clay pipe that was broken about 4 " It was never used so I used it for a while. They work pretty good too. Back in the day......man

bottlediger

Reaction score
a non glazed ceramic pipe? I cant remember who but someone smoked out of one once and they said it burnt their lungs compared to a modern pipe. You didnt notice anything weird with yours?

Ryan

Plumbata

Reaction score
I have a local hutch which has a very well preserved spring stopper+gasket, the latter still being strong and pliable. Filled it with soda, sealed it, and into the fridge it went. Popped it open a while later and the soda tasted mighty fine coming from a venerable old hutch.

ORIGINAL: beendiggin

I dug a "T D" clay pipe that was broken about 4 " It was never used so I used it for a while. They work pretty good too. Back in the day......man

Hmm..., now I know of another person who's recycled an old dug pipe. I've carved nice stems for the 2 dark earthy red clay pipe bowls I've dug, the ones which seem like vitrified paving brick clay, and they worked very well.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have dug lots of drinking glasses but never found a whole one (unless you count those pressed glass jelly jars that were designed to be re-used as glasses).

bottlediger

Reaction score
Matt - No i dont count the jelly glasses... Whats up with the old name, thought you were locked out. Glad to see the old Gunth is back!

Plumbata - you know those hutches have lead stoppers right?!? Rock on anyway

Ryan

beendiggin

Reaction score
a non glazed ceramic pipe? I cant remember who but someone smoked out of one once and they said it burnt their lungs compared to a modern pipe. You didnt notice anything weird with yours?

Just the effects of the "tobacco"

Actually come to think of it, I did dig a nice Moxie glass once, in Daytona Beach of all places. I was wintering down there and on a construction site I found a pocket of 1920-1930s stuff. Wish I had kept it now. I've only dug broken ones since then. Lets see, that was in 1985 I think. Now I know better. Keep the good stuff.

Jim

Reaction score
Those are nice, Ry. They always seem to be busted up when I find them. I have a few dug bowls and ceramics that I use sometimes. ~Jim

bottlediger

Reaction score
Paul - "tobacco" lol I hear ya

Jim - Thanks man, I really love this kinda of stuff when it pops out. Yes most are broken but Ive been lucky with so many whole examples so far, just need the colored ones now! Might have to watch out on the ceramics, some of them contain a lot of lead

Thanks for the comments guys

Ryan

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28