Dug a little undug turn of the century dump.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bent_Twig

Reaction score
Also dug a little hillside dump recently while ginseng hunting that someone had beat me to years ago. Stuff ranged from the 1840's to the 1920's I knew something was up pretty quickly when I noticed all the pontiled pieces on top of the screw tops. Everything was outta context. Here is a picture of a real heartbreaker. Pedal Jar. There woulda been some killer Pontils in this little dump.
Kevin.

DC5734EDF5434B44A76519DFC127A9EF.jpg

Attachments

• DC5734EDF5434B44A76519DFC127A9EF.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 63

botlguy

Reaction score
I do not know a single solitary thing about ginseng so I'll try to give some insight about the "insulator".

It isn't a "Pin Type" (those you would find on a pole, etc.) insulator for sure but could be an electrical device used to insulate electrical wires from something, like a wall tube that allows electrical wires to ingress / egress a building, transformer, etc. It could be something else altogether.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Bent_Twig

Also dug a little hillside dump recently while ginseng hunting that someone had beat me to years ago. Stuff ranged from the 1840's to the 1920's I knew something was up pretty quickly when I noticed all the pontiled pieces on top of the screw tops. Everything was outta context. Here is a picture of a real heartbreaker. Pedal Jar. There woulda been some killer Pontils in this little dump.
     Kevin.

Now that is a CRIER!!!!!!

Bent_Twig

Reaction score
Actually the above picture is one I dug about a year ago I think. I thought I saved some pictures of the other pontiled pedal jar but am having trouble locating it. I think it had a bunch of other pontils in the same picture.
kevin.

deenodean

Reaction score
Put it on the ' insulator ' forum...it sure looks like an insulator of some sort but I know nothing about them. NICE COLOR!

hunting262

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

It does have that insulator shape, but depending on the depth of that top indent, most insulators were made to shed rain and snow, and that would probably hold water and freeze and perhaps break? That's what made me look at it other ways..
Yeah thats what i was thinking when i said wierd looking insulator they normally dont have a big hole on top lol.[:D]

hunting262

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: deenodean

Put it on the ' insulator ' forum...it sure looks like an insulator of some sort but I know nothing about them. NICE COLOR!
Thats what i thought at first but like JOETHECROW said they normally dont have a hole on top.[;)]

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Hi bent twig, I'm also in northern ohio. My job gets me out in the woods on an almost daily basis mostly in the Akron and Cleveland area, and I can say that ginseng is quite rare here. I rarely ever see more than a few plants together in one place. Not quite as rare as undug dumps, but it's hard to find. I would encourage you to not just replant the seeds but to leave some plants undisturbed to ensure that the population is not eliminated.

Bent_Twig

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: toddrandolph

Hi bent twig, I'm also in northern ohio. My job gets me out in the woods on an almost daily basis mostly in the Akron and Cleveland area, and I can say that ginseng is quite rare here. I rarely ever see more than a few plants together in one place. Not quite as rare as undug dumps, but it's hard to find. I would encourage you to not just replant the seeds but to leave some plants undisturbed to ensure that the population is not eliminated.
Hi Todd,
When you are out and have time to look for ginseng it will help you to key in on certain areas. It is not rare by any means in my area , but if the soil conditions are not right it doesnt matter how often you are in the woods. I find that if you are in a woods that is heavy with poison ivy on the ground or ground that is hard and mostly clay type areas you will see no ginseng. If the soil is very sandy or very loamy with good drainage the conditions will be favorable. There are certain plants to look for also that are good partners to ginseng. We have one that is called seng pointers (not sure of actual name) and we have one called rattle weed. If you find these in an area it is a likely spot to locate ginseng. I have also noticed that it favors the thick overgrown briar patches also. Very tuff to hunt but alot of times worthwhile. As long as no other digger ever finds my spots and digs it out you will never have to worry about ginseng dissapearing from this area. Harvesting of ginseng is also a responsibility of being a caretaker of the crop. The young ones need to be left and the seeds need to be properly planted. Some people think that moving seeds to their own areas is a good idea , but the law states that they should be planted where the root is dug. And some places are just not suitable for ginseng. As far as finding undug dumps go , I hear ya!! I am lucky to find 2 to 3 undug dumps per year and some of those are just little spots where a bucket or two were thrown out. But never give totally up on a dug dump either. I have been lucky enough to find some nice pockets of bottles that other diggers have missed. One of the places I key in on in a dug dump is any area around larger trees. Alot of times diggers will take the easy pickens and not want to do the work to dig around the roots. I have found some very nice bottles under roots. They are a pain to get to , but sometimes worth it. Good luck with your hunts and I hope a few of my ideas might help ya sometime.
Twig.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday