dug ink filler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

marjorie040

Reaction score
Warren,
Thanks again...I could feel this bottle had "character" when I handled it!!
Besides my saying so, how do I verify where it was found? The whole city of Charleston was a military encampment during the civil war but I don't know about earlier, I will look into it.
Marjorie

epgorge

Reaction score
The bottom could be indicative of early Stoddard. Is that an Iron Pontil guys?
Ep

Calico

Reaction score
Hi Marjorie and welcome !

I got bit by the bottle bug in my early teens when my older brother began digging and would occasionally let his pesky younger sister tag along.
That was 30+ years ago when you could still find places to dig fairly easily here in Massachusetts.

A disability prevents me from digging now, but I can occasionally get a slight thrill when perusing flea markets or junk stores. It doesn't compare to the digging experience but it's all I've got. [;)]

I love inks and that master ink is a BEAUTY !

marjorie040

Reaction score
Calico,
Where in Mass. do you live? I used to live on Cape Cod and then in Arlington, many, too many years ago! As we say here in SC...."I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could."
It's 30 degrees here so I can imagine your FREEZING too!! At least I don't have to shovel snow!!
Thanks so much for the comments
Marjorie

Calico

Reaction score
Marjorie
I live in the Southern Central part of the state, near the RI border. A small town called Douglas. I grew up in Hopkinton which is where my brother and I caught the bug.

It's a balmy 15 degrees here this morning, a heatwave compared to 10 below zero of last week.[&:]

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Marjorie, You have the most probable time frame so all you have to do is a little reserch. The history of Charleston goes all the way back to colonial times when it was Charles Town but all you have to do is reserach one small area and what/Who was there from say 1859 to 1861 or 62. See if you can find what units were in camped or using the area where you dug your bottle. It is likely that if it were and encampment that at the time the bottle was discared the area was outside the town.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
If you are finding great old bottles like that I would also keep any metal artifacts you dig up and borrow a metal detector to see what you might find. If you find any, they might help you with the context or circumstances surrounding your bottle dump finds. Those are great bottles in their own right, but if you can attribute them as war related it would make them even more valued. We'd love to see any others you have dug up!

marjorie040

Reaction score
Hi Cobaltbot!
I have a metal detector but don't seem to be able to use it.....it clicks alot but I've never found anything when I dig!!
The Privy I was digging in in Charleston belonged to a private home....I know the owner. The house has since been sold....that's why we wanted to dig the privy before selling. We had great difficulty when we hit water....we quit them. I have since learned that we gave up too soon!
We didn't find any metal at all but lots of broken china, pieces of doll faces and pipes, button etc. I don't know what to do with that stuff and I would love to go back with boots and continue digging!!
Here is another of the bottles we dug....
Thanks for your interest!
Marjorie

marjorie040

Reaction score
OOppps! sorry about the picture, I messed up the download....here it is...
The glass is very smooth and feels thin. No embossing The seam goes up to about half way thru the neck and the number 7 is in a circle on the bottom. The bottle is very thin and has 4 or 5 bubbles.
What can you tell me?!

F00531CAE7A149D9BB54D8DB50DBA619.jpg

Attachments

• F00531CAE7A149D9BB54D8DB50DBA619.jpg
    F00531CAE7A149D9BB54D8DB50DBA619.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 66

marjorie040

Reaction score
Here is another bottle that I dug and can't find any information on...it is brown glass, very rough and full of bubbles. The seam goes up to but not including the neck. The bottom is pontilled. The embossing is Lynch & Clarke New York
Can anyone give me an idea what was in it and perhaps how old it is? It was also dug here in a Charleson, SC Privy.....with lots of SC Dispensary bottles.
Thanks,
Marjorie

CB3D0695765B4604847EEBB5DE8ECE61.jpg

Attachments

• CB3D0695765B4604847EEBB5DE8ECE61.jpg
    CB3D0695765B4604847EEBB5DE8ECE61.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 66

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member