Dug Paper Label?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
How do I go about cleaning and then preserving a dug bottle with full or partial paper label? I tried to use puzzle saver but even brushing it on lightly will peel off parts of the label. I had a 120 year old dug bottle with a label yesterday and it seemed like just putting it in water was destroying it?!? I ended up losing it and could make out indidvidual letters but no full words so I couldn't make a positive ID on the bottle. Jason

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
At work we use a paper preservative that is acid free to cover our labels on the bottles we find. It is available at most office supply stores but I cant remember what it is called.

As for cleaning them? I let the bottle dry out completely and then I use a soft brush to remove dirt. I never wash them.

Scott

swizzle

Reaction score
I would really appreciate it if you can get me the name of that stuff. I bought a can of spray preservative stuff? Its suppose to be for preserving documents and maps and such. Is this this same stuff? Jason

capsoda

Reaction score
Some diggers use clear lacquer. Let the label dry out and clean it like Scott said and clean the surrounding glass and spray it on.

Personally I usually don't fool with them but alot of diggers I know do. The paper preservative sounds good though. Mite have to try that myself.[:)]

swizzle

Reaction score
I would only attempt to save the label if I have a signifigant amount of the label or something interesting about the label that I like. I'm going to try to preserve a few that I don't plan on saving just for practice and then when I come across one that I want to save again I'll know how. Jason

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Swizz.....

The stuff we use at work is made by Krylon.

One is called "Acid Free" to make the label acid free.

The second is called "Preserve It" and it is a coating to make the label permanent.

We mask off the area around the label. We do this because the preserver will leave a cloudy residue on glass. If you have any other questions I'd be glad to help out.

Scott

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Swizz,

The acid free and preserver actually do brighten them a little. Other than that I wouldn't mess with them. They are very fragile and tend to just disintegrate.

Another thing.....make sure they are completely dry before preserving them.

Scott

swizzle

Reaction score
I got lucky and found a few paper labels at a sale yesterday. The one paper label would be impossible to mask off because of the parts missing. It has holes and scratches and a whole chunk of the label missing. The part that is readable, is very dingy and dirty. The label is completely dry but I can't get the dirt off the label with light brushing. Like you said paper labels disetagrate and are very fragile. I'm afraid to use anymore force. Maybe I should set it in a sunny window for a few days and then try again? I'm wondering if I should actually try to preserve this one. The first half of the label is in english and the second half looks like spanish. I'll look for those preservers and give it a practice run. I believe even if it isn't worth saving its worth the practice on preserving a paper label. Thanks for your insight. Jason

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson