Dug several unusual "Firsts" in 1880-toc privy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much they are used here, but in Korea both Chinese and Korean ginger jars are plentiful (I have both). The one you found is crude and beautiful! The multi-sided ones are far more attractive ones than the plain round ones, I think. Great finds from all around the house!

sunrunner

Reaction score
well , I would say you hit pay dirt ! Looks more like a time capsule then an outhouse . And the folks who live there had money with all that expensive glass and ceramics to just pitch out.

sandchip

Reaction score
Great digs, and what a variety. Love the little Munyons.

midway49

Reaction score
Thanks for your time reporting and all the pics. Must have been a lot of fun with that much glass.

logueb

Reaction score
Great dig Cannibal. I found one of those glass photos in a trunk in a barn at my grandmother's . I still have it somewhere. Great bottles from that pit. Thanks for posting. Buster

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Super dig Jack! Where do I start? The munyon's is simply a beauty to behold. What a great color. The amethyst bottle is fantastic. Thanks for showing it in the light so we could see the color. I would be tickled to have dug all these bottles. They are great but it's the non-glass items that seem to be stealing the spotlight on this dig. I think the photographs are a huge bonus. Just the fact that they have survived all this time is astounding at the least. I like the powder horn as well. I am envious because the last 3 pits I've dug have yielded . Anyhow, glad to hear from you and thanks for sharing this one with us. This post is already giving me an incentive to keep digging. How many pcs did you pull out of this hole?

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Bass Assassin said:
Super dig Jack! Where do I start? The munyon's is simply a beauty to behold. What a great color. The amethyst bottle is fantastic. Thanks for showing it in the light so we could see the color. I would be tickled to have dug all these bottles. They are great but it's the non-glass items that seem to be stealing the spotlight on this dig. I think the photographs are a huge bonus. Just the fact that they have survived all this time is astounding at the least. I like the powder horn as well. I am envious because the last 3 pits I've dug have yielded . Anyhow, glad to hear from you and thanks for sharing this one with us. This post is already giving me an incentive to keep digging. How many pcs did you pull out of this hole?

Thanks Mark and all others for the great comments and responses. Was able to confirm the Chinese ginger jar as such, and a certain favorite. It's funny Mark, you mention digging squat in your last 3 holes. Last summer I dug a similar privy from the yard next door loaded with huge limestones from a foundation tossed in after it was dipped and then used for a year or so in the late 90's! Got maybe half a dozen crappy junker bottles for my back breaking efforts, and here this pit was sitting, waiting patiently 5 feet away! I joked about the neighbors running over and tossing their empties down the privy I just dug, as it was almost overloaded! Aside from a common 4-5 foot ash layer, it was all use layers and crammed with glass and pottery. I would guess 300 bottles, whole and broken were in the pit with most of the unbroken stuff in the top layers. I was running about a 75-25 ratio of whole to broken, yielding about 150 whole bottles, mostly junkers, but a good 3 dozen keepers. Mostly local pharmacies and sodas. The bottom 2-3 feet was a different story, almost reverse the whole to broken ratio. There had been a ton of bricks tossed in before the ash layer was started, so much damage occurred, but the best stuff from the hole came from there. Also was an unusual amount of heavy pottery and dinner ware. Five round bottom sodas were broken, and as thick as bricks, it always amazes me how they could break. I'm just hopin' this is the start of a streak, as last year was somewhat disappointing, with the exception of a couple holes. Out of 42 productive holes last year, I can count on one hand the memorable ones. I hope I loose count this year! HA! Jack

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler