Dug some inks & a bitters at the TOC today

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

beendiggin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

Red- Thanks, I am happy.

Robert- Six bucks is a good price for a bitters, so.. nice grab. Could you post a pic of your bottle? Also, I would recommend you not use that Kovel book as a price guide because they are generally not accurate.

Bram- Do you know if anyone has ever listed all the varients of the Atwood's? I know it's not that interesting as far as Bitters go, but that product stood the test of time. They go from pontils to screw caps.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Found this link to the Condal bottle. Interesting stuff on table waters. Apparently Rubinat is from Spain.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sEdHI9oHQmgC&pg=PP8&lpg=PP8&dq=agua+de+rubinat&source=bl&ots=Gq-o2mdjO8&sig=psXdYFM1NLa8xswNVo7z7LDQr_M&hl=en&ei=pvjTTM_mIoP6lweN1OzpBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBgQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=agua%20de%20rubinat&f=false

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
What's different from the A115 beside the lip.
See A129, Atwoods Quinine Tonic. I have 3 and have seen 30+ but it wasn't until this Sept that I finally saw one with the flat tooled in the book instead of the double collar. I wish I had the money for it.
I don't count lip finish any more, seen too many different ones on the same mold with various bottles.

beendiggin

Reaction score
What's different from the A115 beside the lip.

The A115 is listed as pontilled. However, the listing also cites four different drug catalogs from the post pontil era, so I guess it is inferred that it comes in smooth base also. My bottle also has the panels on the shoulder, though they're somewhat weakly embossed. It seems to be between a 115 and a 116.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I'm not a bitters expert but I'm pretty familiar with Atwoods. That one is the newest BIM style before they went ABM, so 1890s-1910s. I swore I dug up one exactly like it this summer and left it at my site. The only ones I see worth bringing home are the square collar lip ones, particularly the version with octagon shaped Os.

beendiggin

Reaction score
I'm not a bitters expert but I'm pretty familiar with Atwoods. That one is the newest BIM style before they went ABM, so 1890s-1910s.

That date range makes perfect sense based on the other bottles I've been getting from this dump. 99% tooled or applied tops, some blobs, tooled crowns, and just a couple of early abms. Lots of slick wines, round bottom waters and tooled beers. Thanks!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
While we're talking Atwoods.. does anyone know when they added the "Formerly.." to the embossing?

..I love that whisky, Paul!!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
A case went to court over that in 1883. I don't know when it was finalized. They may have been faster back then as compared to the 10 years they drag stuff out now.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Hey Paul a few years ago Peter Samuelson (sp?) had a pretty good article in ABGC about those Jone's whisky bottles.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Hey Paul a few years ago Peter Samuelson (sp?) had a pretty good article in ABGC about those Jone's whisky bottles.

I don't subscribe to that mag anymore, but I will try to find it online at their website. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday