Dug up a bottle...what did it hold?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capnkret

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm new to the forum, and I know very little about old bottles. I live in Upstate NY. My mother and her boyfriend were doing some yardwork when he dug up an old bottle. Now, I used to study up on the old Coca-Cola bottles because I thought they were pretty neat, and from what little I retained from that, I know from just looking at this bottle that it's circa pre-1900s. However, I can't determine much else about it's age or what liquid it held, etcetera.

So here's the scoop. It's aqua-colored, squat, and has "W.C. MORANGE" lettered into the glass, and "NY" lettered directly under it. It's very thick with air bubbles, completely intact. It has a thick tip that goes like this: /____ (I'm not with the bottle collecting lingo, but very willing to learn.) Once I find where the digital camera went, I'll be glad to photograph it and post it as a reply, so please check back if I've managed to confuse some of you. We're very curious about this bottle, and it's only gotten me excited to collect bottles of my own...especially if there's at least one more in the backyard!

If any of you have one of these bottles, or know anything about the origin of it, what it held, the approximate date, my family and I would appreciate every bit of information submitted.

Thank you for your time.

-Rowan

PS: We did find this link, but it only lists said bottle at the way bottom of the page, saying nothing really about it.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Rowan, I don't know much about squats from NY but I would like to welcom you to the forum.

Bottle collecting/digging is very addictive but lots of fun and I'm sure someone will come along that can help you with your find. This forum is a wealth of info and from time to time a little comic relief too.

How deep was the bottle?
Do you have a probe? A probe is used to look for glass. Check out this site,http://www.varelichunter.com/. If the bottle wasn't to deep you might use a long thin screw driver. Push it into the ground and listen/feel for glass.

Your mother's house could be built on an old dump or they may have discovered a trash pit or privy.

A picture always helps.

capnkret

Reaction score
PHOTOS!

Photo of the whole bottle in sunlight.

If10924.jpg

Attachments

• If10924.jpg
    If10924.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 72

Members online

Latest threads