Dug up a bottle...what did it hold?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capnkret

Reaction score
Warren,

I asked how deep the bottle was when he found it, he said that the whole top was sticking out upright. Apparently, when the town people came over to dig up the water main, there was some "old junk" they dug up, and they re-buried it all, half-assed. Damn skippy I'll be sifting through the area now!

I tried to photograph the seam, but it didn't get photographed clearly in any of the photos. It doesn't seem to follow consistently from the base up to the lip. Mean anything?

Thanks a bunch guys, you've been great help! I'll definintely have to start collecting now! This won't be the last you all see of me... ;)

-Rowan

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Rowan, Thats a nice bottle man.Looks like 1870s but if I am wrong someone will correct me. Forget the probe I'd be in there with a backhoe.[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Keep us posted if you find anything else and happy digging.[:)]

capnkret

Reaction score
BUMP. Doesn't ANYONE know more about this bottle? We're going nuts here! :(

Thanks for everything so far, though. :)

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
great bottle. circa.1875. squat soda. it held soda or soda water i guess. the name on the bottle is pretty common..i have seen at least two other variations. Matt.

capnkret

Reaction score
Pretty common, eh? I wish it was just a little more common, I haven't found ANYTHING online regarding this bottle. :( Are there photos of the two other variations you saw, by any chance? Both from NY? Would it have held mineral water, in addition to the possibility of soda and/or soda water? Very excited to hear this news, thanks much.

-R

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
maybeeeee mineral water...

i know i have a variation...not sure where it is...

i didnt say your variation was common...just that i saw the name at bottle shows...i always look for philly ones...i have hundreds of philly ones...diff shapes colors sizes...

your bottle looks like it needs a cleaning [;)]

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
Alot of bottles from NY are not listed anywhere,i know since i collect NY bottles made in my area,there must of been atleast 10 differnt manafactures alone in the city I live.
So all in all you have found a non-published bottle.A good one at that since it is from NY.
And it being "squat blob?" makes it ever better,but for a price or value i would say 50 to 60 bucks or more,you have to go into the old city records to find the brewery.
It's a beer bottle "IMO"......

capnkret

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I feel satisfied. I'm printing out all of your replies to show my folks, as they've actually started to contemplate backhoeing our and the neighbor's yard. :p

...You think I'm kidding...

-R

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunshine123