Dump diggers wear masks ? ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mihai

Reaction score
I work in construction and I have black stuff coming from all the holes available in daily basis. And I also drive at least 50 miles a day on some of the busiest roads around. And I get my bottles from rivers where the ducks might have flu.

Life is a dog's girlfriend (bitch sounds too rude)!

madman

Reaction score
yo mad, if the soil or ash is very dry, id where a mask. god knows what your breathing in, in moist conditions i dont use one, somtimes its hard to breath thru them, as with cave ins or massive dust i take a break till it clears mike

CJCrystalmines

Reaction score
According to my doctor, the mold spores that are lurking around, won't do much more than cause an allergic reation. Cure... take an extra dose of antihistamine a couple of hours prior.
Don't worry about the asbestos, unless your enclosed, breathing the air for several hours everyday day after day.
There is more danger being cut by glass and old metal; and not having a current tetnus shot. Or not being careful and opening up something and spilling it on yourself.
The amount of arsenic is so small, there is no need to worry. We have old timers in their 70's & 80's, who are still active hard rock miners, digging and breathing this stuff daily, with no health problems.
I think the only real problems we need to worry about is stupid mistakes! Not getting permission and running into a cranky landowner.
Bear, cougar and snake bites!
The curiosity of open up things to see what's inside and/or empty the contents. Remember, the old saying "curiosity killed the cat."

monsterdigger

Reaction score
This is a good topic but i am not too concerned about what i breath digging. Im a mechanic for Chicago International Trucks and during the cold seasons im working in a 40 bay shop with all the doors closed. I you ever rev a diesel with air in the system is like taking a bong hit from a 4" stack. I guess im doomed, lucky to make it to 50. I wpuld just stay away from chemical dumps and mines. Try to find a clean privy or old house dump and you'll be ok. Good topic though guys.........Jake.

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Yeah Jake..I'd say your doomed. LOL

I really don't think I would like a massive diesel hit, I'll take the green [;)], it pisses me off enough just driving behind a dump truck.

I agree with CanadianBoy.

Mainely Broken

Reaction score
I understand what you all are talking about! My concern is my current dump is on MY property & I'm coming across a whole lotta old batteries that are corroding?? They are powdery when touched & break up. Where a mask? I smoke so one or the other will kill me anyway. My concern is my well. My conviently placed (town dump) unknown if true, but definitly more than 1 family over many years. Will or could this battery acid/powder residue end up in my well?
Thanks in advance,
Vicky

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Vicky, If your well is over 60 feet deep you don't have any thing to worry about. Short of something being droped down your well or a nuclear bomb nothing filters that deep through the soil.

atticmint

Reaction score
From my training at work I have learned that no mask or respirator will protect you from airborne, biological or pathalogical waste. Only an air supplied unit can do that. Also remember that your eyes are a route of entry for many chemicals, so a half face mask may not help much.
All said, I would be the first to stay in a hole no matter how smelly or dusty it was, if the booty is good [8D]

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Vicky~ Warren is right, if your water tests are good it's probably gonna stay that way. It's such a small amount of acid and lead that it should be clean by the time it gets to the aquifer.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squirrelman