Dump pics before/after (Please provide ideas)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hello all:

Here are the stats of the dump I found. 1920's and under (very few screw caps) Most bottles are found right on top. The bottles seem to be in three areas: Right on top, right under the top of these mounds, or in the ditches at base of mounds. I raked most bottles (b/c I was breaking em as I walked)and now have begun to dig. I'm searching for ideas:

Should I dig a trench straight out, dig all over, or continue raking?
(I have found case gin tops, pre screw sauce jars, medicines, pipes, horseshoes, etc)

Problem is that the dump is 1/10 of a mile long (Some would say that is not a prob)
Last thing, as it warms up, kids will be back in there alot so I want to be as productive as possible.

Special thanks to the Antique-bottle, and special thanks to those that responded in past :THE W BOYS (Warren and Wayne), dirtflicker, flasherr, Guntherhess, Ye old , madman, and CanadianBoy. Hope to see all at the show.

Madpaddla

Wu61216.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61216.jpg
    Wu61216.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 60

madpaddla

Reaction score
Should I keep these catsups? ? (old screw ons) ALSO found mugs and cups worth anything?
Catsups: Columbia and some from Rochester and unembossed
Ay73305.jpg

Attachments

• Ay73305.jpg
    Ay73305.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 55

madpaddla

Reaction score
Last one: How old is this Sawyers Crystal Blue Inc. (ammonia?) Its older than the ones with the embossing on the bottom of front face right ?

Thanks all for the ideas. I know one of the ideas is gonna be: CLEAN YOUR BOTTLES ! ! haha

Ig12010.jpg

Attachments

• Ig12010.jpg
    Ig12010.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 59

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'm glad to see you clean up the area. Its worth a bit of effort to leave the area nice looking (even though it is a dump)

I would dig a trench all the way down to undisturbed soil then move the trench horizontally filling in the area you have completely excavated.

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Hey Paddla,
I think the best way to go about it is a trench,best you can do is pick aspot and start in.Carefully rake of the loose stuff,go for about 10' then work back and forth,that way the waste becomes your bench to sit on while you dig,also make up a wire screen or sifter for the small stuff.
Clear a bit off the slope in front of you so stuff isn't falling in the hole.It looks like a good place to find early items,just remember if you start tunnelinhave a digging buddy along,Dave.
And keep us posted on your finds.
Did you get the kyaking pics I sent?.

madpaddla

Reaction score
Thanks all.

Two problems:

1. No digging partner. I dig from 2 - dark everyday thanks to this great weather in New England. If Bram can dig in snow I can dig in mud is the thinking. Need a Partner ! ! !

2. Next to a river. (Wayne heard that haha) So low water table. I hit water depending on where I am as close as 4 feet deep. I think the mounds are formed by high waters in the spring and eat away at the soil. Likewise that is why there are bottles at the top of the mounds, just underneath, and in the bottom of the mounds.
(BUT I cound be really wrong, new to digging)

Canadian: Posting tonight thanks for sending em they look great.

Thanks all
Madpaddla

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete