Dump pics before/after (Please provide ideas)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mainepontil

Reaction score
It looks like it has been dug. Those mounds are older tail piles from a past dig.

Not too worry though.[:D]

If it were me I would start a pit about 5' from the edge and just dig straight down until you hit virgin soil (or water in this case). Then open it up to a 8' wide trench and start moving forward making sure you hit the bottom as you go. Even if it were dug it is doubtful they took the time to dig it right, people rarely do.

Here is a test hole I started today. Start small and open it up as you go.

pit2.jpg

I started at the base of a gully dump that has been dug wrong by people over the years. You can see in the next picture that they started too high on the hill and did not go deep enough.

pit.jpg

I hit a nice untouched use layer and got 6 rare milks, a poison and a few other goodies in just a few hours. As I work up the hill I'm sure it will get better.

pit3.jpg

Take your time and good luck, there may be pontil pocket in there somewhere.

Joel

portland med. man

Reaction score
sometimes deep under the fill piles in the middle of the dump pays off... if it hasnt, been trenched .. reminds you of the surface of the moon tons of bumps, well that should give you an idea were to dig , me and joel dug this dump like the one your diggin and was supposed to have been dug hard for thirty years, joels brother dug two spiral pepper sauces and we did well with some druggist and other goodies.... well stuff gets buried if it wasnt dug right from the first time ... so dig deep and you`ll find some stuff. .

madpaddla

Reaction score
Excellent pics !

Thanks for the info. Found the anis bottle on ebay. Guess it was opium/alcohal not good for kids. $10 1 bid. (Probably same guy) Cool bottle non the less

Trenching is the way I'm gonna have to go. Thanks for all the help. Anything else I should know... doubt I'll have time for a sifter.

Productivity is of the utmost. Once summer comes, kids everywhere.

Madpaddla

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
HEY Ben...

Nice to see that you're out digging... I agree with Joel, those mounds look like they are from earlier diggers, that's also why there are so many shards and broken tops/pieces laying around.[X(]

The current in the river will increase and decrease with the amount of rainfall or spring thaw/melting we get from snow and ice. An increase in the water level and current, will eat out/wash away and undercut the edges of the bank, exposing roots, tree trunks and yes, bottles and fragments, but they would not leave large mounds or piles of dirt next to a deep depression or hole. That's from a prior digger.

Remember, in the early 70's there was a "Bottle Rush" going on and everybody dug a lot of dump sites. I think they mostly dug holes and then moved on to another spot and dug another hole, kind of "hop scotch" method. I think nowadays, the diggers are more patient, more deliberate, more systematic and more careful.

When we hook up, whether it is around here or down your way, I'll show you what the current does and then you'll be able to see the difference... either that, or I'll have to remember to bring my camera with me more often.[:D]

Wayne

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Ben, That Sirop d'anis Galvin was morphine and is commonly known as a baby killer med. Its a pretty good find.

I agree with the others. Trench across one end and work your way to the other. Cover every inch if you can and use a small hand probe about 16". A long screw driver will work. When you think you are at the bottom use the the probe ore screw driver to see if you need to go deeper.

It has been my experance that alot of diggers dig holes or little slits or trenches to get what the probe hits and then move on. I have probed lots and dumps and hit only a few items only to dig and find bottles everywhere. The same with wells, cysterns and privys. Just because you didn't hit it the first time doesn't mean it's not there.

Be thorough and you will find more. Sifting is always a good idea. Thats how you find what others missed like valuable coins, tokens and mini bottles.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi madpaddla, looks like a promising area. dig deep, then probe to see if you need to dig deeper. my husband dosn't like to dig deep, so i go behind him and dig deeper. at least you don't have to deal with steep hills and big rocks, lots of luck, post some pics. rhona

madman

Reaction score
hey mad im jealous!! looks like some trivial digging has been done but not much, looks like youve found some bim and 20s on the surface, thats a good sign, i agree with joel id open that baby up !!! personally im cool with 20s sodas and milks, meds, but id dig a test hole to see how deep the dump goes, may get older as you go down also get your brother or someone to help you dig, itll go faster, that sawers cryslal blue bottle is nice 1890s dig deep,!!! oh yea make sure the hole is big enough for you to GET IN, MAYBE START IN ONE OF THE PREVIOUS HOLES best of luck mike

madman

Reaction score
hey joel killer pix!! great info love your stories man!!!! mike

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete